Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lost Sensation around genitals

I have noticed lost Sensation around genitals (especially penis). I am 40 year old male with bulge disks at L4-L5 and L5-S1 exerting mass effect on S1 nerve. I have also noticed lower pressure when I urinate.

Can the issues caused by my bulged disks?

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • dbhamddbham Posts: 42
    edited 06/05/2013 - 7:51 AM
    Are you on any pain meds. That can reduce sensitivity.
    I also have a low pressure pee problem and its related to pain meds im on. I just try to give myself more bathroom time.
    L4/5 herniation13mm sequestered fragment L5 root compromise.
    L3/4 annular tear.
    L2/3 3mm bulge and annular tear.
    Tens mpo combo system
    Epidural L4 L5 28Nov12 / 12Dec12 / 26Dec12. All no relief :( SO FAR
    MicroD L4 L5 May 23 2013
  • zx-12zzx-12 Posts: 2
    edited 06/05/2013 - 12:39 PM
    dbham said:
    Are you on any pain meds. That can reduce sensitivity.
    I also have a low pressure pee problem and its related to pain meds im on. I just try to give myself more bathroom time.
    No I am not and I am worried it will get worst.
  • and or ability to control your bladder or bowels, and decreased sensation around your genital area, you need to be evaluated by your spine surgeon right away. These symptoms can be caused by a condition called Cauda Equina Syndrome. This is a medical emergency and can result in permanent damage if the condition is not surgically repaired within a short period of time.
    Contact your surgeon right away.
  • its made worse if I sit on a hard chair in fact my genitals and rear end go numb and so do both my legs and feet if you can still pee and obtain an erection its worth a mention to your doctor when you next go BUT if you have permanent problems you must see a doctor ASAP . I thought I had more problems in my spine I have had a fusion and its been hell and last easter I started with back pain and abdominal pain I just thought the adjacent disc has failed ..I was wrong and now I am being investigated for bowel cancer ! due to the abdominal and back pain getting worse .its been a hell of a ride I have more test this Monday ..I mention this because something you may just think is normal and blame it on your back ..you could be wrong ..we forget that just because we have a life long illness ..this does not prevent us for getting another problem .if I would not have insisted that I needed to be seen even though I had already been seen in hospital and told I have constipation 3 times !! I kept on and on until I was taken seriously and happy is the wrong word but now I know that I was right to go on and on because I have serious abdominal problems god only knows what would have happened it I would have left it ..[having said that the pain was /is so bad I could not ignore it ] I suppose the moral is if your worried then see a doctor regardless of what you read on forums ..good luck
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I have CES also and you are so correct
    Sitting on a hard chair is the worst place to sit.
    I get pain, buzzing, and tingling in my butt as soon as i sit on a hard surface and those sensations can then last for the rest of the day or for days at a time.

They did not now that i had this serious condition until i was opened up on the operating table.
    Sandi is always wise and correct with her advice
    get checked out for cauda equina syndrome ASAP

Can you go to a Different ER at a different hospital?

God bless

• MozartMMozart AustraliaPosts: 3
    I have had this same pain, pins & needles, numbing, tingling sensation for years, shivers & fever like symptoms, it has never been diagnosed. I was told there was no such thing. I was helping the therapy nurse mobilize a patient who had had a recent hip replacement, she bent her knees & raised her feet off the floor, we were unable to hold her & gently lowered her to the floor, when we attempted to lift her using the armchair technique I experienced the most horrific pain throughout my body & total weakness my hands began to slip away from the other nurses hands. I live everyday with sciatic pain, muscle wasting & weakness of my legs, I often trip over my own left foot unable to lift it when walking. Both my legs have a lot of pain, & wake up in the morning pain worse than the night when I went to bed but the pain in my feet & legs & spine is the reason to send me to bed I also have chronic fatigue but am never able to sleep through the night due to the pain. Is there someone who can point me in the right direction as to the right Dr I should be seeing for this, the Dr who told me there was no such thing was as Orthopedic Surgeon. I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks in advance.
  • you need to see a neuro surgeon! STAT
  • Mention cauda equina syndrome

Or go to the ER right away, they might admit you and get you a neuro surg consult in the hospital

This can be a very serious condition
  • Sitting in an office chair for me is like sitting on a rather large spike. After about 30 minutes or so my rear-end and hips hurt beyond belief - like a deep throbbing ache that is constant with a pinch of numbness thrown in for good measure. For the most part I can't go to any sporting events for longer than half time without doubling over in pain. I get to church on Sunday mornings around 8:50 a.m. and leave around 12:20 p.m. I do our bulletins and run sound and by the time service is over, all I want to do is hit the couch..

A few weeks back, my wife and I went on a tour of a local cemetery (not a ghost walk) that lasted about 45 minutes and at one point my left leg from the hip down was completely numb and in the middle of my low back felt like a nail was being pushed in. Not a stabbing pain but a constant sharp pain. Finally after sitting down for about 10 minutes, the feeling came back and the pain eased - some. I always have pain in my back, legs and feet but this pain was like nothing I've ever felt before.

I too have the numbness and sensation loss in the groin area to an extent and unless I am pregnant, when I bend over at the waist, like to pick up a piece of paper off the floor, I get the wonderful "Oops, I gotta pee... right now" feeling. These are symptoms that have came on within the last few months. I had a checkup about 6 months ago and my PSA levels and all that was good so I know the "I gotta pee" feeling shouldn't be coming from my prostate. I have an appointment with my family doctor on the 12th of November. I think I should tell him about these new symptoms.
    5 MRIs since 2010 | Severe DDD throughout entire Lumbar Region | Facet Arthrosis throughout | Spinal Canal Stenosis | Herniation L4/L5 | Broad - Based Bulging L1/L2, L2/3, L3/L4 - but still kicking - just not very high. :)
  • Thats the same pain i have sitting on a hard chair, perfect description!

I went to a birthday party on Sunday afternoon and sat on a hard wooden chair for a few hours, my butt is still throbbibg and its TUESDAY.......

I can only sit " comfortably" as possible in my car, thats all

Pillows and cushions do nothing, i have spent alot of money on them, and no relief

• Run to the ER. thats an emergency situation

I had surgery just before i git to that serious stage of CES.

I was "peeing" on myself and sometimes when i got off of the toilet, pee would run down my leg

I am embarrased to say this all, but i am saying this to help you and others.

• BigRBBigR Posts: 48
    edited 10/29/2013 - 11:02 AM
    stenosisRose said:
    I can only sit " comfortably" as possible in my car, thats all
    I can only sit on our couch comfortably... but not for real long periods - maybe an hour or so. My office chair use to be very comfortable and I know the chair hasn't changed, same one I've had for the last 4 years.
    5 MRIs since 2010 | Severe DDD throughout entire Lumbar Region | Facet Arthrosis throughout | Spinal Canal Stenosis | Herniation L4/L5 | Broad - Based Bulging L1/L2, L2/3, L3/L4 - but still kicking - just not very high. :)
  • Hi
    Have you had any spine surgery?

What treatments if any were done for your stenosis?

In August I had 3 lamenectomies for severe lumbar stenosis, now I am stenosis free and starting to get crushed nerves coming back to life again

God bless
  • I haven't had surgery yet - I am trying to hold off as long as I can before having it done. My neurosurgeon has said that I need a 2 level fusion and he said that when I get to the point to where I can't stand it any longer - to call him.
    I'm not really doing anything other than just trying to tough it out and staying as active as I can. We can't afford for me to be out of work for surgery & recovery right now. I do have insurance and Aflac short-term disability but Aflac don't pay 100% and our BC/BS deductible is crazy high. I may, if I can hold out, try to have something done about it next summer - will be out from under some financial obligations by that time.