Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The Best

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
edited 06/07/2013 - 12:27 PM in Water Cooler
Most of you know that I am heavy into Wines, Beers and Spirits. I started in this industry back in the early 1970's, then went on to IBM for a 35 year career. In between, I worked at wine shops doing their wine tastings, I held countless number of home wine tastings, read about 100 books about wines, studied a bit in France, and have run wine dinners (100 people+) for
the past 6 years. So, in short, I am a Wine, Beer and Spirit Geek!!

I've been writing articles about these topics in many online forums plus some local advertising booklets. Nothing excites me more than to talk about any of the above informally or formally. At my current part time job, I manage the wine shop. Part of that includes our daily wine tastings. I have easily spent 35-50 minutes with each customer talking about the wine we are tasting and much more.

In the past year, I have seen a big change in the industry. Wine is still number one, it has top billing and gathers the most attention. Beer and Spirits are beginning to raise their heads. No longer is a "cold one" meant to be a Coors, a Bud, etc, nor does having a nightcap just meas a shot of whiskey.

Craft beers have exploded in the USA. Sam Adams from Boston started this a number of years ago, and because of their adventure, there are thousands of small crafted beers in the USA alone! Beers have become serious. You look, you taste and you write about beers the way you have done it for wine all these years.

My beer palate has changed. 5 years ago, Corona, Bass and Redstripe where my 'Imported" beers. Today, I am enjoying all the fantastic Stouts and IPAs out there. My favorite stout is from Oska Blues, called Ten Fiddy .... For IPAs or DIPAS, Heady Topper from the Alchemist in Vermont is my dream beer. There are endless amount of other beers that I've tasted and come to love. Its a far cry to what it was 5 or 10 years ago.

Spirits....I only remember, that for scotch there was J&B, Dewars and Johnnie Walker. You always drank them with soda.
Rye, Seagram was it, with the extra treat of having a Canadian Rye. Bourbon, well, we didnt even talk about those drinkers 15 years ago The same holds true with Gin, Vodka, Rum and more. Today, my favorites are Bastille for a blended whiskey, The Botanist for Gin, Purity when it comes to Vodka, Jeffersons President for Bourbon and MaCallam 18 year old for the Single Malt Scotch.

I could go on and on when it comes to this topic. You might ask, how in the heck can you be dealing with alcohol along side of pain medications. Everything is done in moderation. That has always been the key.

But I would love nothing more than to start up some discussions about these very beverages that mean so much to me..

Oh, Wine, my heart pumps just a little faster when I talk about Lafitte Rothschild 1961 Bordeaux
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Ron:

I enjoyed your post. It was a great diversion from what we usually read on the forum.

My experience with spirits was very aptly and succintly summarized in a song by Tom T. Hall back in the 70's. The title of the song is "I like Beer." The verse that describes me to a t, just like Tom T., goes like this...Whisky's too rough, champagne costs too much, and vodka puts my mouth in gear...I like beer."

So, from that position, as a beer expert I was raised by Anheuser Busch until they went on strike in the mid 70's. After that I took a liking to what I referred to as an imported beer - Coors. Times changed. Beers were no longer regional and as you said the crafted beer industry rapidly established itself and even began to market their product. The APA's are my current favorite. Whenever I am in a new location I seek out the local micro breweries and sample their product. If nothing is available then Sam Adams is always my default beer. It's sort of patriotic to me.

And, all things in moderation.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    edited 06/07/2013 - 12:29 PM
    Today 06/06/13

Wine:: The Zin , by Constantino - Red Zinfandel - Big full and rich
    Beer:: Sixpoint (Brooklyn, NY) Resin - IPA , IBU > 100 Crsip, bitter and what you want from a solid IPA
    Spirit: Bourbon: Jefferson Presidential 21 year old - smoooooth
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    One of my wife's patient is a wide scale tea distributor. Because of him, I have been turned onto the world of teas.
    I find out that part of his family lives in Waterbury, Vermont.
    Now, that sounds average, but to a beer advocate, that is like the sacred city.
    There, the Alchemist brews the #1 Beer in the World Heady Topper Today, my wife came in with 3 4-packs of Heady Topper!

Once I come down off the ceiling I will probably and very carefully pop one of those cans (they make it only in cans) and slowly enjoy what is just part of sheer perfection.
  • William GarzaWilliam Garza TexasPosts: 2,365
    edited 07/02/2013 - 9:48 AM
    clean, not so violent on the nasal passages neat, and mixes up a Cape Cod lick nobodys bidness!
    Grand Marnier-Cherry, if you can find it. its a rare treat, the cherrys are not your average garden variety.
    The Glenlivet..with a Brachs Butterscotch candy tucked in, takes away the peat water flavor and opens up an exciting melange of flavors.
    Ive 2 bottles of Crown Royal Blue Bag that are from the 90s,and turn of the millenium. that defines/and defies the word smooth.
    I dont drink much but I do drink quality.
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health