Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

This is something anyone who has been dealing with chronic pain understands.

Many times, the emotional toll that chronic pain takes is harder to deal with than the actual physical pain. There are times when we know how to deal with this depression. And there will be times that we will need help. That help came come from a family member, a friend, or a professional. There is no shame in seeking counseling for depression. We have no problem going to a doctor for our physical situation, therefore, we should have no problem seeking help for emotional problems.

The Spine-Health resource library provides excellent articles that deal with this subject.

4 Tips to Help Cope with Chronic Pain and Depression

Depression and Chronic Back Pain

Depression Treatment

Depression and Chronic Pain Video

Depression Guide

Here are some posts by members that deal with depression

Can I be depressed and cry?

Depression, Coping with Housework and Back Pain

What does depression feel like?

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• tina coylettina coyle Posts: 125
    edited 06/06/2013 - 4:30 AM
    I am glad you posted this and I will read the other members posts, this is some thing I had never suffered with untill my back promblems started in 2007 . It was the hardest thing I found to talk to others about, that was before now I can cope with it and dont find it so hard to talk about thanks to my pain team who helped me and got me counseling. Thanks
  • William GarzaWilliam Garza TexasPosts: 2,383
    edited 06/06/2013 - 5:22 AM
    I was Lucky, when I first got hurt, my Doc had an entire team/staff trained to look for the signs of depressiona and were conciencious to be aware of it, so my transition may have been easyer in learning its ok to ask for help... its there, its is easing to the spirit, and its healthy to release some of the poison that builds up..
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Hi everyone. It's been a while since I posted here. I just passed four years since my car accident and the beginning of my journey. I know that it's time to get some help for the depression and anxiety but I'm stuck on how to get the help. My neurologist doesn't seem to hear me asking. I've tried to bring it up with my GP but she tends to refer me to the neurologist. It's not that I need a referal but I would like to stick with doctors who will work together.

Any suggestions?
  • Its hard to come right out and tell some one how you fell even your doctor, every ones depression is different . One day I was at a assement with the pain team, I been going there for about 2yrs and they asked me about my mood and I had always said I am alwright uptill that day I am not depressed. I just came out with it, I told them how when I get up in the morning I count the hours untill I can go back to bed how since I had given up work some days I don't even comb my hair , how I felt I was drowning in water when I was a sleep I would wake up catching my breath at least 3 times a night. After I told them they got me alot of help I do take medds for it now and they really help with the counseling. I would suggest if your ready to talk to your GP just come strate out with it if you can tell her you been feeling down and you want to talk about you mood. I did notice you said GP are from Britain. Goodluck