Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pharmacist didn't fill autistic sons meds...?

I have had issues with the Rite Aid pharmacy in my area, as they seem to have huge problems filling my medicines. I was there yesterday to have my pain meds (Tramadol and Baclofen) filled (that my doc called) in. I then went with my son to his meds management appointment, and they upped his dose...and as those of you know, they start low and work their way up until an appropriate dose is found with no ill effects...they started him at 20 mgs of Vyvanse, (15 pills) two weeks later went up to 30 mgs (15 pills)and now they wrote him up for 40 mgs...( 7 pills this time as his next appt is in a week, she said there's no point in waiting the 2 weeks so this way we can up his dosage sooner if need be...) when I went to fill it, they were staring at it, talking about something while "shooting weird glances" at me...a few minutes later, they (yes, 2 of them), come out to tell me it wasn't approved by our insurance (and we've never had this problem before) and needs a PA (prior authorization). This was at 5:15 pm...MaineCare and his meds management place closes at 5 (of course). They also said it "may" take several days to fill, and (repeated SEVERAL times) that it definitely would NOT be that day or even the next...

I tried explaining to the these two that his meds management person and I had discussed this previously (as I had asked due to some weird regulations MaineCare has so we wouldn't run into trouble...) and there REALLY shouldn't be a problem....and to TOP it off?!?! They (pharm ppl) had NO idea WHY it was not approved?! They kept looking at each other, and really avoiding the question altogether...saying I should call his doctor or my insurance...OR I could pay cash for the whole script or just one....which REALLY threw me off...

Am I wrong here, or does that seem fishy? Waiting for a call back from his meds management right now....thanks in advance!!

• Blueeyedwolf,
    It might be that the pharmacist was not comfortable filling the dosage increase, especially since the dose is in the being titrated to effect phase. Some pharmacists will pull the insurance won't approve it excuse when it is because they have personally decided that they either feel it is too early in their view from the last prescription fill time or for some personal conflict they have with it. Unfortunately, they can do it. What I would do, is contact your insurance company first, then follow up with the head pharmacist and explain that it is a new medication for your son, and you are currently working with his doctor.
  • I called last night to see if it went through....and after asking who it was for, asked me to hold on....after almost 10 minutes on hold, she comes back on the phone, snaps "ya- it's ready" and hung up...
    Hubby and I went there this morning (around 10:30, they open at 8:30, so it wasn't first thing) to pick it up, one of them (pharmacists), comes to the drive through window, asks the name, and as SOON as I say my sons name, she rolls her eyes and says "ya, hold on", as she's shaking her head....comes back a few minutes later, tosses the receipt in the drawer for me to sign, I sign it put it back in there and she does the same with his prescription...then takes it back out and adds this sheet about interactions, over-doses, and how to tell if your children are getting high...now, first and foremost- my son is 11 and Autistic....HIGH functioning (the only reason he was 'disqualified' as having Aspergers, is because he also needs help with some daily hygiene-showering, brushing teeth, making sure he has clean clothes to wear, etc...- but his IQ is high for his age, somewhere around 130, he's like a 'little adult'), he is still into Pokemon and "creepy-pastas", NO interest in girls, and NO interest in "getting high"....so either they threw that in there because they think something that makes me cringe, or that his doc is going up all the time because he is "too tolerant"? IDK, but I know I'm switching pharmacies now....the judgemental and "holier-than-thou" attitudes are something I JUST don't have time or patience for at my age...lol...I am by no means a stupid or ignorant person, and I KNOW when someone is being condescending or treating me different than I deserve to be treated...if in fact I find out that his Ins. had NOTHING to do with this? I will most definitely speak to the head pharmacist and let them know how I feel, politely, but quite candidly...and tell them why they lost my family's business. :)