Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

CHAT - Where are you? or Are you there?

CHAT used to be one of the valuable features on this site. It provided a vehicle for people to exchange their views in an interactive tool.

The CHAT room from the old (prior to Drupal era was one of the most active features on this site. People would be chatting from early afternoon to early mornings.

Things have changed. The new Drupal software has made Chatting somewhat of a challenge. What I would really like to know is HOW many people are CHATTING today and HOW many people can not CHAT because of the software changes.

I check CHAT every once in a while and for the most part, I have not found anyone in ChAT

So, I have to ask WHY??.
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Starsinhereyes and Legend are 2 members having problems getting into chat, both have contact me in the last few days about it. We miss not going there to chat together.

There are messages given by a website (can't remember which one) warning the vulnerability of using Java, various patches were given which means I am reluctant to use it or suggest it to others.
    Since the software change things haven't been the same.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I noticed a few things had changed when I came back to SH recently. After reading all the articles and post pertinent to my new situation; the next place I went was the chat room. I found I had to update some of my software, but I was more than willing to do that to be able to use this wonderful feature of SH. Unfortunately, I was surprised to find the chat room empty almost every time I popped in. I have even gone as far as to sit alone in chat while I read other things. I had a few folks pop in and immediately log out, but only had one person stay long enough to have a conversation.

When I was really struggling w/my chronic back issues I found the chat room to be a place that I could turn to for support. Sometimes it was as simple as just being able to vent about my woes w/out burdening my "non-spiney" friends and family. There were many times that I found myself laughing because of some random silly conversation in the chat room when I was at a point of thinking I couldn't laugh. After surgery when I was unable to get out of the house; the chat room was one way that I was able to stave off cabin fever. It was a guarantee that if you had a problem or question you would get instant advice and answers from multiple members in the room.

I don't know how chat got to this point of not being utilized. I know a lot of folks moved over to other sites to chat. That is a shame. I think you should dance w/the one that brought you. I'm sure some folks like me just got busy w/other activities as our conditions improved or stabilized.

I noticed SH has a lot of new members, as always. It is great that they found the site, as I am sure it is helping them the way it always has with information and answers. What I think is a shame is that they have not utilized the chat feature. Posting is great, but it just is not the same as having a real-time chat. I still remember peoples' real name, not just their "handle/site ID", even though I have not been around for at least a year or so. With chat you get to know other members on the site in a way that you just can't through posts on the forums.

I feel indebted to a quite a few folks here for helping me out with kind words, conversations, and advice. They shared time w/me in chat when I really needed that contact and had no other way of getting it. I think if more folks tried the chat room out, they would find that same comfort that I did.

I look forward to meeting you in the chat room!
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Yeah, I spent a few late nights and wee hours of the morning in chat. Once in a while I find someone there but it is few and far between. I still check now and then, I do miss it at times but things change.
  • Mine doesn't work. I thought it looked like a pretty good idea, but never could get it to work.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • Ron,

For those of us who knew the old chat of course we know this doesn't even come close to what we had. But for those of us who used chat before we also understand how it works. With the new one, I think it is a bit confusing if someone is there are not. Of course we used to have the option of see who is in chat, and that was great as I think newer members clicked it then realized someone was there. NOw when you go in for a newer member I think it is confusing wether you are there or not.
  • My laptop broke ! iPad won't chat, I kicked it still would not chat, I think if we got dancing girls in chat would be a hit, I know I would be there even if I have to steal neighbors laptop,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 07/10/2013 - 9:44 PM
    You are the dancing entertainment remember?LOL

I am sorry to hear your laptop has now given up, I know you have been having so much problem with it.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery