Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Syrinx anyone know anything about this?

I was just diagnosed with a small syrinx in my t4 area. Had two MRIs one without n then another with contrast. The first MRI the doctor noted the syrinx and suggested another MRI To rule out cord lesion. I went back a couple weeks later had one with the contrast and they said "no cord lesion identified to account for the small syrinx seen at t4 level on the original exam" that was in the impression section. In the indication section it says its not as evident in these t1 weighted images I am beyond confused. I have 4 bulging discs t6/7 t8/9 t10/11 and c5/6 in my neck. The one n my neck is unbelievably causing so much pain due to pushing on thecal sac impingement and I have degenerative disc disease in my tspine and cervical. I'm on neurontin and pain meds. The pain meds much at all. The pain where my bra sits on my back is unbearable but everywhere I read they claim the syrinx won't cause pain??? I never had pain before my car accident.

• They can cause pain... I've been doctor hopping for a year plus.... Many MRIs and such... However my first meeting with my recent doctor I told him it was a syrinx in my spinal cord that is causing the pain... Needless to say mine is roughly 4.4 millimeters at it's widest point.... He then looked to me as if I were stupid and responded that everyone has a syrinx however most are to small to be seen not have an affect... The second time I went in he looked over all the medical history and MRIs and such.... The first words out of his mouth when he entered the room were "it is the syrinx" and the pain you're experiencing is exactly where mine is... However they have no ideal how to help it... A lot of pain killers don't even work in that area... I was told they wouldn't recommend surgery unless I started losing function in my limbs because of it .... That and just deal with the pain... Which is easy for them to say... Sorry I'm not much help... However that's all I've come to find out... I'm looking for more answers myself
  • thoracic spine painthoracic spine pain Posts: 566
    edited 12/28/2013 - 10:02 AM
    I have had thoracic pain at T4 and T5 for 8 years due to trauma - motor bike accident. I have only just been diagnosed correctly. Thoracic pain is the worst pain I have ever felt in my life. I was given pain killers, opioids and they were not touching the pain. Finally they combined them with muscle relaxants and this helped.

I just looked up syrinx on Wiki and a syrinx is a totally different condition to mine. On Wiki it says it can be very painful so maybe you could go from there and to the references underneath to try to find someone who knows about it. Apparently it is a rare condition, so probably most Doctors would not have seen it before. I advise you guys to research for yourselves - that's what I ended up doing and maybe try to find other people with this rare condition. Hopefully someone here has it. That sounds bad - I don't mean it like that. No wonder you can't get answers.
  • http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/spinal-tumor/types-spinal-tumors

The link title sounds a lot more scary than it is , but here are many articles regarding spinal "tumors" and the various types of them and their treatment options. Wiki is not the best source of information for stuff like that. If you do a search using the box at the top of the forums there are links to the various conditions, treatment options and other resources right here on Spine Health.
    There are also multiple forum posts from others who have also dealt with this situation and treatments.
    Good luck,