Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please please HELP ME Stiffness and pain

Hi everyone. I'm so glad to be here. I have had cervical laminoplasty c4-7 May 15th and was wondering if anyone has had such awful "shortening" feeling of the muscles of the back of the neck, side neck and upper back muscles post-surgery either laminoplasty or other posterior cervical surgery. I've taken a lot of various pain killers that help so much but come with side effects of itching, little red dots on tip of tongue, chest rash from Percoset (which Reeeely helped!). I now take Klonopin to try to telax these muscles which seem to be made out of brick and I take ibuprofen with Tylenol and Dilaudid 2 mg with Benadryl for the itch/flush and the Dilaudid is useless. The pain management team is awful and I am at the most famous spine hospital in the northeast! I'm so depressed I felt almost suicudal the other night and I do take an anti-depressant. I am walking, using a heating pad and cold packs and I use lidocaine patches. This muscle severe stiffness is breaking my spirit. Any advice please help and thank you with all my heart in advance. Btw...my surgeon never, ever calls patients back unless they're ready to go to ICU. I am totally abandoned by him post-op.

• I am so sorry to hear how much you are suffering.
    I know that cervical surgery from the back is know to cause awful pain afterwards in the muscles that don't like to be disturbed.

I haven't had posterior surgery as mine was an ACDF. Others seem to find that icing or heat can help. But I see you have already tried that. Do you find warm water from the shower helps at all? Some people seem to find that wet heat works quite well.

The fact that your surgeon doesn't call back must be very frustrating. You are still under his care and if you are not coping with the pain then he should either help you or direct you where to go for help. I assume that you have tried to phone him.

To give you hope, you are in the very early stages of recovery and things will get easier with time.
    I hope that someone else will be along who has actually experienced a posterior cervical surgery and that they will have some ideas of things that you can do.

Do stay with us and let us know how you get on.
  • Jelly hall thank you. I am so upset with my surgeon and I hear that many of them are like this. I have been calling pain management at the hospital every day and now they are trying a new muscle relaxant...will see what happens. Opiates feel the best of course but they are Leary of giving me a new one probably because they are worried about responsibility legally. They just were going to try plain morphine and then says they were not comfortable with my reactions. Oh boy. Thank you!
  • Please forgive the typos!

• I have been away on holiday, but am back again now.

I hope that you have now found something to help with your pain levels and that your recovery is continuing well.