Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

anyone ever heard of/tried Kratom for pain management?!

I was searching alternatives to prescription strength pain medication, and came across a forum where everyone is saying how wonderful this plant is!! Apparently, you chew the leaves or dry them and make tea...

The Kratom is a tree native to Southeast Asia (Thailand, Malaysia, Myanmar [Burma], and elsewhere). Its botanical name is "Mitragyna speciosa". Kratom is in the same family as the coffee tree (Rubiaceae). The leaves of kratom have been used as an herbal drug from time immemorial by peoples of Southeast Asia. It is used in folk medicine as a stimulant (at low doses), sedative (at high doses), pain killer, medicine for diarrhea, and treatment for opiate addiction.

So, what it looks like to me, is it's something to not only help with the pain we suffer through, but also, if you suffer from an opiate addiction, it helps you ease off of those too!!

Ideas? Suggestions? There's a sale now...seriously thinking of ordering...

• I have heard of it, and the things that I have heard didn't sound good. It is very unusual that one plant can treat so many conditions, don't you think? Insomnia, chronic pain, addiction? Seems too good to be true, and like my grandmother said, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
    Just be careful, there are tons of things out there that are supposed to be sure fire cures for what ails us, but they usually turn out to be worse than the original problem.
  • I heard about this plant. They said that the effect of the drug mimics that of opiates, ranging from sedation to pain reduction to intense euphoria. It also carries with it a host of opiate side effects, including nausea, dizziness, constipation, and in worst cases hallucinations and delusions. So i don't think this is a good idea to try.
  • gagenortonggagenorton Posts: 1
    edited 07/02/2013 - 1:23 PM
    I discovered Kratom from an article at Forbes online and it has been a life saver. There is way too much misinformation out there. I spoke with a doctor and there is virtually no side effects. In large amounts over a long period of time you may experience mild constipation. If you ingested too much, you would simply throw up. It's no more dangerous than caffeine. If you already have trouble with addiction, common sense would tell you that you're more likely to take too much of anything. Kratom has been a great alternative to pain medication for me. I was prescribed all kinds of pain medication for my heart attack , but found them to be debilitating and they made me irritable. Kratom takes care of my pain without any of the problems that I experienced with prescription medication. As with anything, you want to find a reliable and knowledgeable vendor which I found through that Forbes article. Google "Online Kratom" and do some reading or asking if you have questions. Always double check your sources of information and don't just believe the first thing you read. It's kind of ridiculous to make an opinion based on no personal experience. I give Kratom 5 stars all around for the help it's given me.
  • My pain is through the roof sometimes. I read the Forbes article and the follow up results. I would prefer to take something natural and will give this an experimental try after I talk to my GP. I need to function and have a life. I have never heard of this as I am in Australia. It's one of the strictest places in the world for drugs so hope it hasn't been banned here. Anything natural is worth a try. Thank you for this information. Will report back on my experiment if you like. But as Sandi says anything that sounds too good to be true probably is, so will go in with my eyes wide open. Have never heard of this here.
  • Possessing Kratom is illegal in Australia, that's why I have never heard of it.
  • ekwp123eekwp123 Posts: 1
    edited 12/09/2013 - 7:50 PM
    I read the Forbes article as well, it was a refreshing approach, his willingness to actually try the product instead of simply condemning it made me confident enough to give it a try myself. Kratom certainly works, it wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but some days it's difficult to be picky.

Link removed, solicitation not permitted.Please read the Forum rules
    Post Edited by Liz (Spine-Health Moderator Team

• healthierjhhealthierj Posts: 4
    edited 03/30/2014 - 4:37 PM
    I took kratom for a year before I solved my back pain. Without Kratom, I would have been unemployed and I probably would have lost every single friend I had because my pain was horrible (lots of crying without kratom). Prescription pills were making me act crazy so I decided to use Kratom instead. Most people that had bad experiences with Kratom that you read about in the media were taking other illegal substances and were looking for a high - not medicine. EDITED The reason Kratom hasn't been outlawed in the U.S. is because no one has died from an overdose. You can't overdose on kratom and it isn't addictive like many prescription pain killers. Just be smart and take it responsibly.

Naming of specific products or endorsements is not permitted on Spine Health forums. Post edited by Sandi
  • Please consider all the information before you try anything. Natural is not the same as safe. There are many plants that can kill you if ingested. Heroin & cocaine were legal for a long time before legislation was passed. Legal does not equal safe either.

Because of immigration from certain countries Kratom has been in the UK longer. Try searching the subject in UK & Europe. There is a movement to get it banned as soon as possible. I don't mean the 'Kratom miracle leaves' 'great legal high' type propaganda sites, find some some the reputable news sites.

I have family members living in inner London. They frequently complain of people high on Kratom doing some very strange & dangerous things. There is no difference between how they used to describe heroin addicts & Kratom addicts.

I have no experience with this drug. I just get very worried when people assume that anything 'natural' & 'legal' must be safe. Please stay safe ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • LC84LLC84 Posts: 599
    edited 03/29/2014 - 2:16 PM
    I can tell you that Kratom is already banned in a couple of U.S states. The DEA is further investigating this product. It's unclear regarding it's safety so I would use with caution.
    Progressive DDD
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • Hi I live in Malaysia and I've never even heard of this until I googled! Hopefully I'll be able to try Kratom here to see if it works!

• urine tox screens done during your pain management visits or anywhere you may be subject to urine testing. It also has no legitimate medical purpose in the US>
  • Very short history lesson. The opium wars fought with China were about the British wanting to trade opium for tea. Opium was banned in China at the time but the British had acquired India and had a supply of opium and that was the only thing they could trade with China. China already had everything they needed themselves. The British wanted to trade opium for tea. Thousands of people were killed in these wars.

Most of the painkillers we take now are made from the opium poppy. It depends on what you read but Afghanistan used to be the largest supplier of legal opium to the west so pharmaceutical companies could keep making the medication most of us take every day for pain. The Taliban banned growing of opium and there are pictures of western soldiers guarding the opium fields in Afghanistan.

So equating legalisation with governments wanting to protect us is a myth. It depends on which century you live in, and what money can be made by banning or legalising substances at the time.

Most of the painkillers we take today are a derivative of the opium poppy although there are some man made synthetics like methadone - a drug developed by Germany during WW2 as they had run out of morphine to give injured troops.

You are right English girl equating natural and legal with safe is incorrect. Governments in history allow and ban different substances not because of the good of people. Money is a large factor. At the moment we live in the industrial age and are conditioned that working until you die is a better way to live. It is not so all countries, some European countries only allow workers to work certain hours and then the must stop work and go and eat with their families. Denmark has that policy where every profession or job is equally valued.

Corporations have money and influence with all governments - it is in the governments best interests to ban substances that can be sold legally through large corporations.

I wonder how the world will look back at this time in history and what has shaped our current society. Before the industrial and computer age which in historical terms is recent history, people grew their own chemical free food and bartered. There were no big banks and compound interest was banned. Compound interest (usuary) which most of us pay to banks on our housing loans, is banned in the bible, and still banned in Jewish and Muslim communities.

So english girl I am glad you pointed out that safe and legal do not mean the same thing. By the way and most Americans know this Coca Cola did contain cocaine, it was developed by a chemist. So there you go, our values are formed according to what time in history we live. The industrial age and the ability to study large groups of people for the first time in history to discover what is supposedly normal and what is not, has shaped our thinking for the last hundred years. The ability of radio. television and of course computers has allowed for the first time in history broadcasting to the masses, has also a great impact on how our thinking is shaped what we consider normal and abnormal.

• Totally agree other posters - Natural doesn't equal healthy.

Also someone said that they rather have natural kratom over opiates when as far as the pharmaceutical world goes, Morphine and Codeine are among the most natural prescription drugs out there. Morphine and Codeine are the main ingredients of the opium poppy, they come straight from the plant with no added synthesis, though they are processed but even vitamins/supplements must be processed.
  • someone mentioned this to me, but i chose not to even consider it after doing my own research... it's up to you.. just didn't seem regulated or safe enough. (yet) ....
  • Unfortunately, stuff like this usually makes the rounds of various forums, and is billed as the next great cure for all that ails us..... As my grandmother used to tell me, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. I added the link to the pdf file for Kratom in this thread as a cautionary measure.
  • GoatManagerGGoatManager Posts: 1
    edited 07/19/2014 - 9:24 PM
    Kratom is really the only thing that keeps me moving in the morning, I used to deal with extremely sever pain and was on the whole gambit of painkillers from oxycodone to opana, and my son gave me some kratom and I've been great. There is a lot of bad, weak kratom, but I've been using

Link removed, solicitation not permitted.Please read the Forum rules
    Post Edited by Liz The Spine-Health Moderator Team

5.5 You agree not to engage in any solicitation either on the Spine-health.com forums or via email to Spine-health.com viewers.
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • It can be a nightmare living with chronic pain. Please make yourself aware of the associated risks with this product. Sandis link is a good source of reliable information.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • warehousegirl11wwarehousegirl11 Posts: 1
    edited 09/16/2014 - 8:22 AM
    For me, I have very negative side effects from pharmaceuticals and have sought out and studied herbal alternatives since the early 1990's. I take Kratom for pain. I have had severe chronic back pain since I was 12 years old. In 2009 I had yet another re-injury and I deteriorated to the point where I found myself out from work and on disability twice. Had surgery, chiropractic, spinal injections and pain meds and none were effective. Not only did prescription and over the counter meds not work at all, but they caused intolerable side effects! I take Kratom on an 'as needed' basis. It actually got me back to work and in a very physically demanding job! I now have had lower pain levels and have regained most of my mobility.

" Product endoserments are not permitted on Spine Health. What has "worked" for you, may not work for others. We strongly encourage anyone interested in this to do their own research into the claims of this substance. "
  • based on abuse of Kratom, it is based on findings and adverse reactions to the plant.
    There again is no legitimate medical purpose or studies documenting the claims made by the websites selling this plant to back up their claims.
    As has been stated numerous times, "herbal" does NOT mean it is SAFE.
  • I have a friend called Ankylosing Spondylitis and have learned to live with him for the last 30 years,
    we understand each other far more than we used to. Of course my friend is also known as pain, the aches and the
    overwhelmingly pervasive pain that plays on the personal trinity of "mind, body and emotional being". I have taken kratom,
    for pain and it works. It is also a very pleasant up buzz for me, and is a far better feel than opiates due to no angst on either end of administration. It is not as powerful a sedative as the opiates, but that is for the best i believe. I find narcotics to mask the pain of inflammation associated with my condition and kratom has a very pleasant relief with regard to severely aching legs and the joints in general.
    The down sides are that it tastes "awful", and by awful i mean never forget bad, aversive to a point of it really has to work or you will never give it a second chance!
    Now I cannot underline the awful part enough and i have drank many and most elixirs in life and well this is the worse...
    It is extremely acidic, its link to the coffee family is well documented, and can leave a rendering for hours, but i have found that soy milk, milk or a good ole' oral cleaning, tooth brush and all, gets the taste out. I can only take it late evening after the kids are in bed and I am ready to settle in with the wife. BUT THE BOTTOM LINE IS IT WORKS! I only take it at the weekend due to the sedative effects that can leave me a little groggy in the early a.m. I also find it allows me to vacation from my NSAID's and TNF's once every quarter to cleanse the system. You can order it online at multiple outlets in 1oz and up packets and i have found venders to be both quick and reliable. I do recommend picking a night with little to no obligations as its effects are different for all. Look up recipes online, i find heaped teaspoon mixed with my tea and soy works well.
    I have friends that have used it to break the "oxy" habit cycle and are recovering with the aid of Kratom.......
    I say "take on the pain", I also eat a Starch free diet, use an inversion table, and have a relationship with my health care provider that is based on mutual respect. These are all major factors in my therapeutic model for dealing with my old friend, and kratom is just another tool in the box for whenever needed.

• tschneider2000ttschneider2000 Posts: 1
    edited 06/14/2016 - 12:07 PM
    My opinion is kratom is an awesome all-natural pain-relieving plant. Yes, it is much safer than pharmaceutical pain meds, which are highly addictive and cause more problems than they help in the end. Kratom, not only helps to relieve pain, but it also helps with addiction to pain meds as it helps with the withdrawals. Yes, it is indeed safe - no one has ever OD'd on kratom, but you can't say the same for pharmaceutical pain meds!!! Please don't speak about something you know nothing about - do your own research and don't listen to those who are ignorant of what kratom has to offer. 

There are so many people who have found relief from chronic pain from this plant. Others who have been able to quit heavy opioid addiction as well as alcohol consumption.

I lived in chronic pain daily and hated taking hydrocodone and other pain meds, but I had no choice until I found kratom. Please - research and then research some more before you discard this awesome herb!! I no longer take any pharmaceutical pain meds and my pain is under control - thanks to kratom!!
  • Hello, I'm new to the boards and just wanted to comment on my experience with kratom. I've been a roofer for about 5 years and it's pretty much destroyed my back. I've tried the muscle relaxers and other crap the different doctors have prescribed me and they helped, but not to the point that I could work.

Kratom was the only thing that helped me enough to work. I decided to give it a try after countless hours of research soaking in as much information as I could. Some info was good others not so good. So of your interested in trying kratom I suggest doing your research because some vendors sell good kratom and some will sell you crap.

If you do decide to try it, it is very important to find your proper dose. And also remember kratom is not for everyone. Mt advice is if you go the kratom route start with a small test dose. Wait a day after your test dose and If you don't have any bad reaction then try to find your sweet spot where it gives you relief.

It's impossible to overdose on kratom but taking too much can make you very sick. Usually bad nasua and a bad headache. Nothing to severe but it is unpleasant. Also it took a few days for me to find my appropriate dose, so if you don't get relief the first few times don't give up on it.

To sum this up kratom has helped me tremendously with pain management. But if you decide to go this route make sure you do your homework on it. Such as finding a decent vendor and more importantly look up proper dosing techniques. This drug gives less euphoria then pain pills you get from your doctor but may provide better pain relief.

My advice is read up. Make an educated decision and decide for yourself if it's worth it. I did and am really glad I did.
  • My wife has been suffering from chronic pain for years, and she has recently gotten into using Kratom. So far she is really enjoying the effects!
  • sandi said:
    I have heard of it, and the things that I have heard didn't sound good. It is very unusual that one plant can treat so many conditions, don't you think? Insomnia, chronic pain, addiction? Seems too good to be true, and like my grandmother said, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
    Just be careful, there are tons of things out there that are supposed to be sure fire cures for what ails us, but they usually turn out to be worse than the original problem.
    I had to bump this thread.

It works quite well and why would it be odd for a plant or something in nature to have so many medicinal purposes? It is common in nature. Look at all the different strains and combinations and it can be mind blowing. Did you realize that marijuana has more medicinal properties than any plant on the planet. Just another example.

Please realize that something is also not safe because it is legal, approved and regulated. People do not overdose on krotom or cannabis. Do you know how many people OD and die from prescription medications?

A lot what drives the DEA, pharmaceuticals, health care is profits. You better believe the pharmaceutical companies do not want people having easy access to something natural and safer than prescription meds which takes money out of their pockets. Money makes the world go round. Sad but true.
  • rjsmedleyrrjsmedley Posts: 1
    edited 08/24/2015 - 4:51 AM
    Kratom has analgesic properties but some people take large amounts to get a "high" and at large doses it can be addictive. You might want to think twice about going that route, especially if you have an addictive nature. Don't say you weren't warned!

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
  • caroline2caroline2 Posts: 92
    edited 08/24/2015 - 9:27 AM
    and I don't know if I'll try it, but on my search I found info on Hi-Tech Pain RX herbal pain supplement which I've been taking for a couple yrs in between my ibuprofen and recently noticing I may get better relief with Pain Rx than ibuprofen. So I may change my dosing routine to the maximum dose on Pain-RX and less Ibuprofen....it will be a good test while at home all day.

I muscle test and dowse and I come up stronger for Pain-RX for my body and pain.

I manage pain with these and pain reducing alternatives.

Before you try any supplement, herb, over the counter item, exercise program, mechanical aid, brace, etc always consult with your doctor to make sure you get their approval.
    Some of these products may be very effective, but no two individuals or medical conditions are alike. What works for one, may cause trouble for another..

Liz, Spine-Health System Moderator
    Bodywide OA, Fibro and complications from Hip Replacement.
  • Game changing. The fear mongering that goes around regarding kratom is so off base. I have been using kratom for over 2 years. I have done more research on kratom than I did on the back surgery that also was a game changer for me. I would be happy to share any information I have collected as well my personal experience with it. I think it would be inhumane to not chime in on this post, knowing that learning about kratom and its uses, could help people in such a profound way. I have no interest in debating kratom, I respect and understand other's choice to not try it, or not believe what it has been able to achieve for so many people. If you have any questions or interests in an abundance of literature, please send me a message and I would be happy to talk with you privately or here as long as it Please feel free to contact me via email @ burbankmanagement@gmail.com
    3 level fusion L3-S1 July 23, 2012
  • jgunnerjjgunner Posts: 2
    edited 09/23/2015 - 9:22 PM
    I just started using Kratom a few months ago. Still experimenting with the dosage and strains. I smoked weed for migraines and pain, and Kratom has been better since it is legal and I can pass a drug test for work so I will stick with it. [edit]

Please click on link for helpful information
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Liz -Spine-health Moderator
  • I have to admit that I am very curious about this. I am normally not into non-traditional treatments, but I've had luck with Kava-Kava tea for mild anxiety. That opened my mind a bit, but that tea is sold in major grocery store chains, so it's more mainstream than Kratom.

Looking around the web, I only see Kratom being sold by sites that I've never heard of and that look a little sketchy at times. Local stores that specialize in herbal supplements don't carry it. They referred me to the local head shop which embarrassed me a bit.

I also notice that the majority of the folks singing the praises of Kratom have a post count of 1... their post in this thread. Maybe I'm too much of a cynic, but it makes me wonder if any of them are Kratom vendors trying to create a market by pretending to be spineys.

When I see this show up at a retailer I trust, I might give it a try. But not if the only places that carry it are sketchy websites and head shops.
  • Kratom user here. Definitely a better alternative to opiate and opioid based prescriptions as long as you buy from a reputable source. This plant saved my life and kept me functioning while in pain that would've kept me bed ridden. I've gone through withdrawals 4 times this past year to reassess my pain levels, and while it isn't a walk in the park, it's way safer and forgiving than all other narcotics, except cannabis IME.
This discussion has been closed.