Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

After PLIF surgery...

I had PLF surgery on May3 and I have a few questions for people who may be going thru the same thing:

1. I am having problems sleeping. I have tried pillows between the legs, legs bent, side, try sleeping on my back I think I have tried everything! So I try to sleep in a recliner so I basically sleep about 2 hours solid then off and on. Any suggestions?

2. Also, when they say walking does walking in the stores with or without a cart count?

3. I try and do stuff around the house but I pay for it and hurt a lot the next day. Of course I do it w/o bending twisting or lifting. Do others do this or should we just walk and rest?

Sorry for all the questions just need some validation!

• sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 06/09/2013 - 6:05 PM
    Yes, walking around stores counts as well as any walking you do at home. I found after my surgeries that walking in short time frames was easier to do, and caused less pain if I took it in steps. At first, it was just from one room to another, many times a day, then as I got more time away from the surgery, I would go to the store, and use a cart to support myself but walk around the store, leisurely.
    For sleep, like you, I couldn't manage sleeping in bed and only slept for short time frames- i used melatonin at night, which allowed me to sleep better, and it didn't leave my feeling doped up like i did when using sleeping pills.
    As far as the housework thing goes, I was told absolutely no housework while I was in the back brace- for me that was 6 months, so I learned to have my kids bring the laundry basket to me on the couch, where i would fold clothes, then they had to put them away. Vaccuming was a challenge but as time went on, I added short bursts of doing the vaccuming in steps. I was told if it hurt to do it, then stop...
  • I'm a huge proponent of melatonin as well, be sure to check with your doctor for safety with your medical history and current medications. I also found tylenol PM helped tremendously. Last,stretching through the day (not just at night and not just twice, but stretching multiple times a day) especially the front and back of the thighs also helps me.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.