Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Peripheral Vision problems - related to Surgery and / or Drugs?

• I have not heard of that before but can imagine how concerning it is for you. If I were you, I might consider a visit to a nearby major city to find a top of the line opthalmalogist and of course a neurologist. Something is causing the loss of peripheral vision and to me, the longer you wait to find out what caused it, could potentially make it harder to treat.
    I wish you lots of luck in getting this taken care of as soon as possible.
  • I am waiting on an appointment for the neurologist he is referring me to, so will see him first and then depending on my confidence level with what he says / does, will decide on how to proceed. I will have the second field of vision test this Wednesday, to confirm earlier findings.

It just feels like I am back on the treadmill again just as I felt I was going to step off :-(
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I was floored when I read your post. My vision has declined rapidly in the last year and I was also wondering if it was related to my cervical surgeries or medications. Keep me posted on what the docs say. I cannot go back to the eye Dr until Oct due to the way my insurance is set up for vision. I was thinking about mentioning this to my surgeon at the end of the month when I have my visit but now that I have read your post I am definatly going to say something.
  • Had a lengthy discussion with my NS today, he is convinced I have suffered something quite rare, a stroke from a migraine attack. I am having an MRI on Friday and go back to see him next Wednesday to discuss the findings.

Am somewhat disturbed by this as you might imagine, and I guess I will wait until next week before I start to freak out!
  • Well, I guess having my spine issues were not enough and my body decided to deal me with a stroke off the back of a migraine attack and cause my partial loss of vision. The scans confirmed a lesion on the left hand occipital lobe, which ties in with the loss of right side vision in both eyes. It is therefore not anything associated with my spine issues, treatment or surgery, but just an unfortunate coincidence :-(
  • I'm truly sorry to read the new update in your condition. What, if any treatment is the neuro suggesting to deal with the stroke?
    Rehabilitative therapy? Any medication changes to deal with the new problems? A consult with a opthalmologist?
    I hope that there is a good chance of your vision problems being repaired?
  • He has said that there is no medication needed, as the stroke likely came and went back in January, and the damage has been done. He believes that I now need to retrain my brain to subconsciously recognise the areas presently I have no vision in, it cannot be consciously done as simply thinking about it makes it inevitably worse! On a positive note, the rest of my brain is fine, apart from the scan showing a possible sinus infection, which is very odd as hadn't expected to see anything like this, but not something I actually feel I am suffering from.

I have read conflicting information on the possibility of recovering vision in the areas effected, some things state no chance, yet my NS says I can expect improvements over the next 18 months or so (up to 2 years from the stroke)' and says its a matter of retraining the brain to recognise things.

Oh well, it's just another small bump on my road to recovery I guess, and I just need to protect myself in this blind spot, and avoid tripping over my dog while out walking as part of my rehab and from bumping into doorways as I keep misjudging my proximity and my shoulder is getting bruised.
  • , I can imagine that is very difficult to endure, bumping into things and misjudging distances all of the time. I hope that as time passes, that you do recover your vision into those areas. I will keep you in my prayers, and hope to see posts telling us that your vision is improving, as more time passes.