Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello I'm new here I hope someone can help me 14 months ago I was at work and I went to bend downand something happened in my back , I went home and couldn't move for about 2 weeks I rung an ostiopath which came to my home and has been treating me ever since , I did go to a chiropractic 3 months ago because although my back did improve from the time I done my back it wasn't getting that much better , but after my 2nd session with the chiropractic my upper back was in agony I don't know what they did but I thought my ribs back and front we're broke so that set me back a lot so now I was in pain with my lower and upper back it was terrible , my ostiopath was treating me for both Now but nothing seems to be getting better and it's been so long now I'm so worried I'm going to be like this for good can Any one give me some hope , will the pain get better , or what can I do
Thank you.

• Hi Jackie

You don't mention if you have a diagnosis. Did the osteopath do any imaging like an MRI or CT? What did he think is causing your pain?
  • Oh no sorry I've only had an xray and been told it's sciatica but now chronic and spondylitis by the chiropractic .
  • terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,832
    edited 06/10/2013 - 4:02 PM
    there is not way this guy can diagnosis you without an mri or cat scan. sciatica does not show up on an x-ray. why are you going to a chiropractor anyway. basically they try to get your back into alignment. they are not medical doctors such as a neurosurgeon or and orthopedic surgeon. go to someone else. this guy sounds like a quack if he is saying he can make diagnosis without a mri or cat scan
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

Unfortunately, Jon is right, there is no way for the chiro or the osteopath to diagnose you with you arthritis ( spondylosis) and sciatica from an xray. Sciatica is an inflammed nerve that runs from your spine down into your buttocks and legs. Called the Sciatic nerve. The pain caused by sciatica can go away after some time, however, continuing to allow the chiropractor to do adjustments probably isn't the best idea at this time. Rest, ice, heat, massage, anti inflammatory medications usually help to ease the pain, along with stretching and some moderate excercise, but not doing things to worsen the inflammation will help to ease the pain.
    I don't know how old you are, but arthritis in the spine is something that many of us deal with , and the normal course of treatment is anti inflammatory meds and topical rubs and creams sometimes ease the pain.
  • may I just add which I should have added in my post iv never gone to a doctor about my back as I have health anxiety and scared of anything that means having tests or going to hospital that's why I pay to have ostiopath come to my home , I know it may sound mad to all of you to have suffered all this time but that's how scared I am of doctors and hospitals im just so worried they will find something serious that's causing the pain in my back ,would like to know if anyone thinks after 14 months could it be anything serious if I knew it wernt I would go to doctors. I hope I don't sound to mad about this but I am very worried . thank you
  • There is no way for us to be able to tell you whether or not something is seriously wrong. If you are asking if it might be cancer or something like that, I don't imagine that cancer would be the cause of sciatica or arthritis.
    The doctor is going to want to give you the answers as to why your back is still bothering you these months later, but it might be worth the peace of mind in knowing that there is nothing more than just sciatica and arthritis. They can offer you injections or medications if they do find something is causing the pain you are having.
    I think that we all have some fears when it comes to going to the doctor, for any reason but if they can help you resolve the problem , then it is worth going.
  • thank you sandi for your advice x
  • Jackie I can understand anxiety but what is more important is to find out what is going on. A reputable chiropractor would not be treating you without getting the necessary testing done. It can be dangerous. After 14 months with no improvement it is time to get some answers. Make an appt with an orthopedist who specializes in spines. The tests are not invasive in any way and all you will get is info. Then a treatment plan can be made that will actually help you feel better.
  • terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,832
    edited 06/12/2013 - 7:25 PM
    it seems like these so called doctors want your money. if they have been working on you for 14 months without any improvement then i would check a lawyer and check with ama and see if they are reputable. you can go on line to check these guys out i would not pay them one more cent.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Jimblab9JJimblab9 Posts: 17
    edited 06/12/2013 - 9:14 PM
    I would just say not to be afraid to seek advice from a Board Certified doctor who specializes in spinal and neurological issues. Sometimes it's less scary in the long run to get a proper diagnosis so you know whatever treatment you choose will help to alleviate discomfort and possibly avoid more serious problems. Most tests these days involve no more than some minor discomfort.