Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Another "can't deal with this anymore" post.

I've posted before under another name etc., but found it popped up under basic google searches and I really was not happy finding that a simple search by any company or friend could open up my anonymous and highly sensitive information. so I deleted what I could and hopefully chose a more random name.

Anyway, I haven't posted in a long time. Things have gotten worse. I was hit again. I've been in 4 car/motorcycle accidents now in the past 5 years. I have 4 ruptured discs, 1 cracked vertebrae and I'm in my early 30's.

I've been living with my mother for the past 3 years as I can't really get out of bed for long and the guilt is killing me. We had to leave our old place and now looking for a new smaller one. I'm wrecking my mother's twilight years and it's eating away at me and we fight a lot but still get along. I love her so much.

I haven't been on pain killers in a year as they were just messing me up. I feel like I have no choice but to get back on them though. I've gained more and more weight and I'm so uncomfortable I certainly wouldn't even try to date.

I am in heavy pain all day, every day. Now too, I have heavy sciatica which I didn't before. I have never been suicidal but there are so many times where I've wished I didn't have family so I could just end the pain once and for all. I really wouldn't care either. I wouldn't put my family through that though. I don't think like that all the time either. But the past 5 years have just been a waste of my life. Nothing has happened. And those are important formative years for creating a career.

I can't even walk my dog. I'm not getting any kind of directions from my many doctors and I just drink now. For the pain, for the depression. For the escape.

My mother just yelled at me for drinking and the money it costs. I feel so guilty but sometimes I hurt so bad I just don't think of the money. I just feel like the worst son ever. I was supposed to take care of her at this age. Not wreck her life having to take care of me.

Sorry everyone.. I'm tryping without any real idea in my mind. Just unloading a bit. My only escape is sleep which I do now about 12 hours a day and my dreams can be horrible and I grind my teeth now to the point of aching jaw and chipped teeth so even that's gone for me. No more friends because I can't do anything. Won't date. No income and can't find a place to live.

Just freakin' out of control here. Sorry again for bumming anyone out for reading this.

- ME

• Sounds like you are suffering with depression. You know the answers so all you need is to decide to do it. Go to your GP and tell him you are depressed and drinking. Quit the drinking and get a medication that will help you get moving. Then start simple...walk the dog. Then walk a little more. Then see about PT. A lot of things will start to fall into place when you take that first step. The weight will come off and you will feel better. Then you can see about getting some help for the back problems.

You said these were car or motorcycle accidents. I'm assuming you have medical coverage from these? They can definately help you get your life back together. Reach out for some professional help. I bet if you asked your mom she would help you too. Maybe she would walk with you.
  • I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

Hi Travelerguy,
    You can ask the moderation team to delete the previous name you had here, since each member should only have one name on Spine Health. You can PM dilauro and he can address that problem for you.
    It does indeed sound like depression is slowly taking over your life, which is understandable given the accidents and pain levels. Why did you decide not to continue using the pain medications or am I understanding that you wound up abusing the medications in some form?
    The first thing that you need to do is get into therapy and possibly get on some anti depressant medication to treat the depression. The weight gain may be a combination of the intake of alcohol, bad eating habits, and of course the inactivity. Sleeping 12 hours a day isn't doing you any good at all, but I can understand that combined with the other things you are doing, sleeping seems like a good option.
    When was the last time that you saw a surgeon regarding your back injuries? Have you seen any doctor recently regarding the condition of your spine? If not, it is time to get back into one of their offices to see what the status is of your back, and your ability to function. There are other options to treat the pain without the use of opiates if you are concerned about the ability to use them properly.
    You may need to look at other fields of work than what you were looking at before the accidents. If your field was desk related, and you find that you can not do that any longer, then look at fields of study that don't require much in the way of hours at a desk and vice versa.
    You already know that you need to do something to change the way that you are currently living, all you need to do is take that first step.
  • Thanks for the comments. My background is in phsyical therapy and personal training/nutrition for the past 12 years. So I'm more familiar than the lay person with a lot of this stuff. I've been going through this pain issue for 8 years now which became horrible around 2007 after one of the accidents. I've had a spine surgery, 12 mri's and hundreds of thousands in medical bills, doctors, treatments of every kind etc. I've been on anti-depressants for 3 years now. My back is just getting worse. Now I have sciatica which I didn't before. I can't stand up for very long and I've gone through all my money. I have appointments with my neurosurgeon again, pain management, chiropractic, podiatrist etc. but I saw most of them a few months ago and we're at a stand still. I'm not getting any new recommendations or information really. I know the weight gain and where it came from. That was my job for a decade so I can lose it when I can get past my mental barriers. I'm just so sick of the constant pain and I'm not getting any new advice and don't like being on pain meds although I'm ready to be back on them as I can't do anything at all without them. I''m just frustrated. No answers. rock, hard place, lack of hope. Just frustrated and worn out.