Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi everybody, it's been awhile since I've been on here. On April 18, 2013 I had a morphine pump put in to try to help get me off some of my oral morphine, which was starting to work. Well on May 13 I started having severe cramps in my low back, the kind that brings you to your knees, you know what I'm talking. So I called my wife at work, she happens to be a nurse, and she said just rest until she got home and she would check me out then. Well before she got home I thought I was getting the flu, she took my temperature and it was 102. She didn't like the looks of my incision but because I was going to see the PA the next day we thought lets just wait and see. Well the PA looked at, which she didn't like the looks of it the week before, and immediately asked for a colleague of the doctor that put it in to look at it. I'll take you back to the week before when the PA looked at it she didn't like the look of the incision but said let's take your temperature and then you can go home. So the nurse came in, not the PA, and took my temperature and it was 99.8, and to me who has a normal temp of around 97.6, that was a fever. The nurse looked at me and my wife and said well I guess you're good to go. Me and my wife on the way home talked about should I have seen a doctor because I did have a fever. Well back to the doctor looked at it and said yeah that's got to come out, and I'm like what's got to come out, and he said the pump and catheter. So totally caught off guard the next thing I know is I'm at an emergency room, which was 45 minutes away, because they said this hospital had the best doctor to handle this type of surgery. So after a four hour wait in ER to get a room, in which they couldn't get my oxygen high enough for them to like, I finally arrived in my room to which they said well your surgery won't be until tomorrow at around 5:30PM. So I am totally miserable at this point with a fever of 102, severe cramping in my back, and not having surgery for 24 hours. So I finally have the surgery and they tell me I have a severe infection in my back, near my spine, so I will have to be in the hospital for a few days to figure out exactly what I have. Well a very long story is I had MRSA, staph, ecoli, gram negative, and meningitis. I had a PICC line put in and was told I would have to be in the hospital for 4-6 weeks!! Well the doctor after a week agreed to let me go home if I promised to come to the PICC center once a day, which was an hour away but I would do anything to get out of that place, and do vancomycin three more times at home, to which I said a big yes if I could go home. Well the home therapy times were at 3:00PM, 9:00PM, and the toughy 3:00AM. But I only had to do that for 12 days in which the doctor said do you believe in miracles, and I said well I have had a lot of people praying for me, so absolutely yes!! And she said well you are a miracle, because she said as sick as you were two weeks ago, to be as good as I was now, that's the only reason!! Praise Jesus from the mountains!!! That was a phrase my grandpa used to say, and I'm sure he was looking down on me. But the doctor that put it in never called to check on me, but did call to wonder when I wanted to put it back in. WHATTTTTT!!!!! It will be awhile before I'm psychologically ready to put it back in!! Just wanted to share my very long story in case there was anybody else out there that got MRSA from a pump. If you read this whole thing!! THANK YOU!!
11 back surgeries, fused from L3/S1. Now have four herniated disc in neck from C3/C7. And two new herniated disc in lumbar at L1-2, L2-3. Passed 73 kidney stones, five surgeries on left ankle that now has seven screws in it and is fused. Both shoulders

• Back again. I also wanted to ask how many people out there that have a pain pump had one put in your butt. Mine was right on my waist line on my left side. Like the incision was right on my waist line, so the middle of the pump was right on my waist line. I didn't think sitting on it all the time was to good for it anyways. I thought through my research online that most of them were put in the abdomen?? Maybe not. Just a question. Thanks
    11 back surgeries, fused from L3/S1. Now have four herniated disc in neck from C3/C7. And two new herniated disc in lumbar at L1-2, L2-3. Passed 73 kidney stones, five surgeries on left ankle that now has seven screws in it and is fused. Both shoulders
  • n2bravesnn2braves Posts: 68
    edited 06/12/2013 - 8:15 PM
    So sorry that you had to go thru all of that.

My goodness the pain must have been just horrible.

Can't believe that Doctor had the nerve to call and ask when you wanted to put it back in.

How about "I'm sorry this happened to you?", "Is there anything I can do?"

That really takes the cake.

Seems like there is so much MRSA going around anymore, and they say the hospitals are just full of it.

It sounds like you are indeed a walking miracle my friend.

Hope you are feeling better and stay that way.

Have you thought about whether you will go thru the surgery again or not?

It may be too early for you to think about that yet.

Anyway, glad you are OK.

Take Care!
  • I did not have a pain pump but I can relate to you on the infection standpoint. I got a staph infection in my incision after my first fusion. It was pretty deep and it to be washed out surgically. I had a picc line placed and I was on home IV therapy for 6 weeks. Oh yeah, before I was admitted to the hospital I had the worst muscle spasms in my back. They would almost knock me off my feet. Anyway, the infection weakened my legs to the point where I was stuck using a walker for three months. Keep in mind I was 32 when I using the walker, so I got real weird looks. I couldn't step up onto a curb, my legs were so wiped out. I am glad you are doing better and I hope you continue improving everyday. I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in this. I am sure more people with a pain pumps will answer anything you need to know.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • pigfarmerppigfarmer Posts: 32
    edited 06/13/2013 - 7:15 PM
    Thanks for the replies n2braves and RTgirl2011. I always know coming on here that there is somebody out there that has went through a similar situation. Yeah the sad part was the pump was just starting to work when I had to have it taken out. And after having ten back surgeries, I really didn't want number eleven. And the doctor also placed the catheter so it would take some of the pain away from my ankle, and it was working for that also. Oh I forgot to say that I fell off my roof a couple of years ago and dislocated my ankle, along with shattering my ankle and fibula. So I had my fifth surgery on it in January and they fused it this time. So long story made short I have 8 screws in my fibula, and 5 more in my ankle now, which leaves me with hardly any movement in my ankle which makes me walk with a severe limp which in turn kills my back!! UGGGHHH!! My doctor then thought it was my SI joints because my pain was so low and he said he could fix that pain by fusing my SI joints. So I got excited of course that he could fix my pain only to be shot down again when my MRI showed that my SI joints had already naturally fused together. He said I was one of the youngest patients he had ever seen do this, and I said if it could happen to somebody it would happen to me. And now they have me on two anti-depressants because I am so depressed I attempted suicide. I'm not proud of it, because it's a very selfish thing to do to my wife and three kids, but sometimes the pain is so bad I can't take it anymore. I was a hog farmer and had to sell my whole operation back in 2008, it's what I had done since I could walk, so yeah it was a rough year. Sorry for venting, I just don't know why all this crap happens to me.