Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

This can;t be real

I will try to be brief.........Feb 22nd 2013,shoveled snow. Went to get a drink of water, had a sneezing attack, felt something protruding under my boxers, right side. Was causing pain. Went to the ER. Dr's indicated inguinal hernia. Referred me to a surgeon the following Monday. Monday the Dr indicated double inguinal hernia. Operate ASAP. 3 days after surgery was back to the Dr's office complaining of pain. Stitches out the same day. Percocet ordered. 2 weeks went by, pain chronic everyday. Pain started in lower back and going down the front of my right leg, stopping at the knee. Re-visited the doctor for more pain meds. Did that 3 more times. Was referred to Pain Management for consult. Did nerve block and start me on gabapentin. Not effective. Did that 2 more times. June 10th 2013 admitted to hospital for Pain Management and MRI. Pain Management wanted to do nerve block again, I refused. Started Lyrica and did MRI. Was seen by a Neurologist and prescribed different meds and sent home 2 days later.........The results from the MRI were pretty much inconclusive, they did however indicate COULD BE a L3 disc not sure.......He is the skinny.....Pain down my thigh is on the top. It is chronic and never stops. It ends at the knee and I have moderate pain on top of my right hip The pain meds I have helps me cope and other meds I have now help me sleep. The surgeon for the hernia operation says he could not find the nerve before installing the mesh. I have never had any pain to speak of in my 56 years. I have lost my job, my utilities are being shut off and I am in the process of being foreclosed upon. I just want this fixed. Gabapentin offered 0% relief, too early for the Lyrica. Gave the last of my money to buy meds. Did I mention I just want this fixed???? Any help??
Tim K Harrenstien

• sandisandi Posts: 6,342
    edited 06/12/2013 - 3:07 PM
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

I am not familiar with that condition but am assuming that it is a hernia in the genital region for a male. Since the pain is less than 6 months old, it is still considered acute, and if I were you, I would be getting copies of the surgical reports from the hospital and start with those to see if there is something in them that is causing the pain you are having. It could be something to do with the mesh used , since I have seen ads on television regarding the use of mesh and the complications when it has been used in women and bladder procedures and I imagine it is similar to that.
  • terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,831
    edited 06/12/2013 - 5:46 PM
    were you or are you working now. why have you lost all of your money, if it is not work related then there are things that one can do to get meds cheap or for free. have you thought about welfare or other relief? you did not explain how your surgery was paid for. these details are important for us to try to help you. are you applying for disability, were you laid off? do you have insurance? how did your back start? was the hernia on the same side as your leg pain? i had hernia surgery and there were not issues with my mesh and i was back to work 2 days later. why did you refuse the nerve block. it takes time and sometimes more than one to work. this does not help when you refuse help by the doctor.

I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,874

• - This all started from the surgery for double inguinal hernia ,, Correct ?
      - You started with back pain 3 days after that surgery - Correct ?
      - After the stitches were removed, you were given 2 weeks of percocett. For the Hermina or Back pain?
      - You saw this doctor three more times, for more pain medications
      - Then they did a nerve block on you before any diagnostic testing
      - You then had 2 different MRIs
      - MRI's are not showing anything specific
    My biggest question then , is what is the diagnosis from your doctors? If they are doing nerve blocks, etc and are prescribing all the different medications, then they must have some level of identification of your problem.

Have they talked about other conservative treatments? - Physical Therapy, ESI, Tens Unit, Massage, etc
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • This the diagnosis from my discharge papers...Now have percribed Amitripyline....B complex Flax Seed Daypro and Lyrica.....along with 15mg oxycodone.All of my acute pain is located on top of my right thigh down and stopping at my knee. I have also some pain on my right hip........The neurologist called me back yesterday and said another person read the MRI indicating something with L3........My neurologist doesn't agree......She says it will just go away!!
    Tim K Harrenstien
  • I too am dealing with this and have been since November of 2008. It is getting better, though very slowly.
    Nerves are always the last to heal.
    Best Wishes
    Fused L2-3 to S1 and at C5-6. I have a central herniation @ T11-12 and multiple bulging discs in my thoracic. I also have fibromyalgia and suspected arachnoiditis, awaiting my results of a recent MRI.
  • terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,831
    edited 06/18/2013 - 12:31 PM
    one of the worse pain i ever had was after hernia surgery. the dr said he was going to scope me but to my surprise, when i got ready for surgery, they said they were going to cut. of course they sent me home the same day and just walking from the car to the house was horrible. i had to have my wife help me. i don't know if it would be better if they scoped me. it was up there with a kidney stone.once i got home and sat down, it was a lot better. i don't know of any issues with the mesh by the way but so far no problems what i am aware of
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • dbarbeau48ddbarbeau48 Posts: 318
    edited 06/19/2013 - 10:43 AM

I'd have to say we have a strange coincidence in common. I had inguinal hernia surgery in September of 2011. It was on the left side. I was cut and a mesh patch was inserted. The surgery went well and I recovered quickly from it. Up to this point, I had been walking 4 miles a day for 3 years. Within a few weeks after the surgery, I noticed my left hip bone sticking out and I was starting to have trouble with my walking. I was having muscle spasms and for the next few months the spasms in my back were getting worse along with my walking. I finally saw my doctor in December and she ordered an MRI. I had developed a moderate scoliosis. My avatar picture is from the MRI. No doctor has been able to explain why I developed this bend in my spine. Prior to my hernia surgery, I never had back spasms. I believe it has something to do with the surgery, I had a general and was out and my thought is that when I was moved from the table back to my bed, I was pulled over and it knocked my spine out of line. Since this has all happened, I have been in PT twice for a total of 50 visits, had a round of deep tissue massage, and been through 16 bouts of the Graston Technique, all to loosen up my spasms. My back is still crooked and it wasn't before the hernia surgery.

Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • Hi. Just a quick note to let you know I had the exact symptoms in the same leg. Come to find out it was nerve impingement in between the L2 and L3 discs. This is something (I was told) that is difficult to see on an MRI. But wanted you to know, I had epideral injections and after the second injection, it was gone. The Dr. said he wasn't sure if it would help me but wanted to try it just in case. Glad I did. Please discuss this with yor Dr.It may be the answer your looking for. I had pain that radiated from my right hip toward the front of my thigh and down my thigh to my knee. Sounds like the same thing. I hope you've at least found some kind of pain relief by now. I am new to the forum and just found your post so sorry soooo late.
  • started when you were shoveling snow, then sneezed, popped the hernias, and had the surgery, but still have the on going pain in the upper thigh. There is a dermatome map as my avatar. Check that, but I am pretty sure that the L3 distribution for the nerve involves the upper thigh....if that is the case, take your MRI , report and go consult with another surgeon. It is entirely possible that when you shoveled the snow, you stressed the disc, and then the abrupt action of sneezing caused the disc to herniate or to bulge compressing the nerve and also either aggravated or caused the hernias at the same time.
    As far as not wanting the injections, it may very well be that that refusal could have caused the pain to continue. It is wise to at least try injections once or twice to see if they can offer some relief.