Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

surgery done!

surgery was a successful. My leg is not hurting at all anymore! However, my pain in my back is worse than I could have ever imagined. I am taking Percocet by mouth, Morphine through a continuous drip and extra bolus drips every 8 mins. I'm also taking valium and Robaxin as muscle relaxants. in addition to my regular meds from home. Oh and antibiotics and zophran for nausea. And I lost quite a bit of blood so I had blood transfusions and my magnesium is crazy low so
I'm getting that in my IV too. I did get up with a lot of help and walked a few steps. Hoping to get the catheter out tomorrow as well as the blood drainage bag cause its gross. Well tat is all I can manage for now.
Severe DDD in S1-T12. 5 disc herniations. 5 compression fractures. Had a 2 level lumbar fusion/decompression on June 12, 2013. L4-5 foraminotomy on Jan 8, 2014, Right SI fusion in Oct 2014. Scheduled for L4-5 fusion to existing fusion on Sept 28, 2015

• Oh wow!
    Congratulations on the surgery. Just go nice and easy and give yourself permission to take it slow. Type at us when you feel like it. We'll be here cheering for your success.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Thanks for taking the time to post. Glad you are doing okay.
  • I hope you continue to do well!!
    99/00 L4/5 & L5/S1 herniation
    2001 L5/S1 microdisectomy age 25
    severe DDD at surgery level
    2011 pars
    2012 RFA L/3/4/5
    7-02-13 L4/5 l5/S1 360 fusion ALIF PLIF
    DX spondylitis , DDD, scoliosis, and slight kyphosis
  • I'm surprised you can even talk with all of that medicine! I'm assuming you've had to use meds for pain relief for awhile. I've read on here that patients who have had to be on narcotics before surgery due to pain can have a rough time controlling pain after surgery... so please try to have an advocate (family/friend) stay with you to be sure they are able to keep your pain bearable. I too had to have many blood transfusions which at first really upset me (especially since I had banked 4 units prior and still needed more)... not sure why it upset me, but it did... but its over now!!!! Best of luck with your magnesium drip, those can be miserable too. I'm glad you were able to walk a few steps. Best of luck to you in your healing!!!! Just remember, you are now a SURVIVOR!. Keep us posted.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • I too can't believe how well you were able to articulate that whole post under all that medicine! So glad your surgery is over and your leg is pain free. Good job getting up and walking, I won't be able to imagine doing that until someone is making me. lol Wishing you continued success on your recovery!
    42yr old mom, of 3 & 6 yr old boys
    Spondylolisthesis L4-5, Spinal stenosis,
    Left leg/foot radiculopathy, Khyphosis
    360 Decompression Fusion scheduled for 7/23/13