Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Possible adhesion 8 months post-discectomy?

Has anyone had continued nerve pain, foot numbness, upper thigh pain, and new hip pain (bursitis) following lumbar discectomy with laminoforaminotomy? I am better, but my recovery has been as fast as a slug. I never experienced significant relief directly following surgery. This week I saw a new spine expert PT (my 4th attempt in 13 months) who says that my pain and numbness may be caused by adhesion near nerve. I walked and moved as soon as I could after surgery and am now walking 2+ miles a day. I was unable to do a lot of the PT stretches several months ago due to pain. Still, if I move wrong, stand too long or sit too long, I get cramps and pain that make it tough to sleep. I had a very large extruded and fragmented disc that was strangling my nerve. I know they say the nerve may take a year or more to heal, but I am really losing patience. Even if I ask my GP for another MRI, I don't know how that will help. I cannot have more surgery. Nor can I take a lot of drugs. I am doing some new stretches (hamstring, etc.) but my big toe goes painfully numb and my hip hurts.

• SpineyKD23SSpineyKD23 IllinoisPosts: 89
    I have had continued problems since my last surgery in March 2012. I started PT about 2 weeks ago and my therapist expressed the same concern about adhesions. If you read my history, I have sciatic pain due to a recent reherniation, but I did have muscle cramping and twitching minimal sciatic pain as well as chronic low back pain that have been an issue since the surgery and prior to my most recent injury. I have struggled to be patient too. It's been 15 months since my surgery and the comment I get from my surgeon and pain management doctor is that my symptoms aren't likely to go away without some type of pain management. Hopefully your pain will improve. Our situations are different- I had significant relief after surgery and now my pain is low grade. An MRI with contrast may be able to tell you if scar tissue is present. My recent MRI revealed not only the reherniation of L4-L5, but also some scar tissue at L4-L5, L5-S1 and mild bilateral foraminal narrowing. It was at least nice to know what's going on visually. Since it's been a year since your surgery I bet they would agree to another MRI.
    25 years old: Herniated L4-L5, L5-S1 December 2008. L4-L5 microdiscectomy Sept 2010. L5-S1 microdiscectomy March 2012. Redo L4-L5 microdiscectomy Sept 2013. Redo microdiscectomy Oct 2015.
  • humanshishkabobhhumanshishkabob Posts: 65
    edited 06/21/2013 - 5:40 PM
    Thanks, SpineyK. Yes, the pain is getting better (from about 9-10 to about 4-5) and I am improving. I had the MRI in June 2012, so perhaps I do need another to see what has been going on since my Oct. surgery. I have been doing a lot of activities this week and drove almost 6 hours yesterday. My body is not very happy with me today. Gosh , you are awfully young to have that many herniations. I hope your recent one is tiny and will heal quickly. I've also had the infernal twitching, cramping and low back pain along with the numbness. I hope our pain levels keep going the right direction-down.