Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 herniated discs,a tear, and narrowing... Help please

about a 2 years ago, my back (upper back) started hurting all the time, and from time to time, my hands would go numb, and a burning feeling down my arms.
After going time and time again to my doctor (GP) she agreed to send me for an MRI of my neck , which showed 3 herniated discs,a tear, and narrowing of my spin. She said that’s why my hands are going numb, the discs are pinching my nerves. We tried Chiropractor, didn’t work. Then she send me to a neurologist, and tested me for carpal tunnel and it was fine. The Neur, gave me shots of Novocain in my back in Aug 2012. Which helped a bit

Then Oct 20 2012 .. I get t boned in a really bad car accident. Car was a write off, and air bags went off, taken to hospital and they did x rays of my chest and it was fine.

I see my doctor Oct 22, she tells me that i am going to see sore.

Pain starts getting really really bad ,(I had no car until Dec, so I couldn’t get treatment until ) Dec 2012 I start intense PT and massage. This doesn't help at all.

Jan 2013, I go to my doctors (walk in clinic) I started to cry because I am in so much pain, I could barely move my neck. I tell her we've tried, PT, Massage, Chiropractor, Ice, heat, OTC pills. Nothing is helping me. HELP ME! The doctor response with “This is why people become addicted to Narcotics”

I leave without help. That clinic doctor calls, the pain doctor at our doctors office. (( Doctors office has 4 doctors, nurses, pain doctor, social works ext.

SO MY OWN DOCTOR IN 2 YEARS DIDN'T send me to the pain doctor, but this one does.... WHAT THE HECK.

So I start seeing him, he is amazing, flips on my doctor for not getting another MRI since the car accident, and gets me on a pain patch. Burtain.

I get really sick and I have to stop taking Burtain. I call my doctor and only speak to the secretary, who tells me that she'll let my doctor know that I can't take the Burtain, and we'll find you something else, and she would call me back.

3 weeks go by and I call my doctor, the secretary never told my doctor I was so sick on the patch, so I demand an appointment. I see my doctor and she tells me that shes order me my full back to be MRI d.

April 2. My doctor tells me to get a lawyer, because of how much pain I am in for the car accident, she tells me we are going to get my whole back MRI d and she give me some Dielain and tells me it will make me very sick, I don’t fill the prescription.

April 6 (4days later) MRI is wrong and they only do my neck.

April 8th I call the secretary to let her know that the wrong MRI I was done. And that I have lawyers who are waiting for MRI results. She tells me she ll tell my doctor ASAP, so we can get another one booked.

April 17th, I call back to see if she has booked my next (RIGHT THIS TIME) MRI.
She tells me, she hasn’t told the doctor that the wrong one was done yet, (11 days later). Secretary was very rude and short tempted. I told her , she needed to speak with the doctor, today and get back to me.

April 26th, secretary calls me back, saying that my doctor will not get me an MRI, because I don’t have back pain, and if I want the right MRI done, that I have to pain for it. So I said then the doctor is lying to you. I do to have back pain, and the doctor told me twice, that we were going to get my whole back MRI d.

April 28th I see chronic pain doctor. He goes and speaks with secretary and demands that we get my whole back MRI like the doctor said,

April 29th Chronic pain doctor calls me and says that we are getting your whole back done, and sending you back to the neurologist.

May 13th I call , because still no MRI appointment date, and find out that chronic pain doctor has been fired. I get transfer back to my doctors Secretary , I ask her, are the things put into place by the chronic pain doctor, MRI and neurologist . She says yes they are, but we haven’t called or booked anything yet.. (2 weeks later)

I call first week of June and still nothings done. My next appointment is July 6th.

HELP!!! the spots on my back that hurt, are effected by your lower spine, which has never been looked at.. 3 years later and I am in constant pain, and my hands are numb all the time...

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I believe some people who have had terrible pain have wound up in the ER where they have had diagnostic tests such as MRI done.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Thanks Karen, I had, had that though also.
  • lizmay84llizmay84 Posts: 4
    edited 07/07/2013 - 3:39 PM
    So the newest thing, an ultra sound on my back, a nerve test, and going to see a doctor that specializes in muscles.

• why see a chiro? they don't and can't help herniated discs. only a neuro or an ortho surgeon can do that. i think chiro's are a waste of time and borderline quacks but that is my own opinion so don't go ape on me if you disagree. i am saying they can't help sciatic pain or any other bone or nerve issue relating to backs. you should have gone to the er and get this treated immediately. they will do mri's cat scans, nerve conduction tests and any other test that is needed. also they will refer you to an appropriate surgeon if that is needed. a chiro can make things worse since all they do is allign the back and therefore put more pressure on your nerves.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Where I live, the ER won't give you MRI's or any other tests unless the pain and issues are results of something recent that just happened, such as a car wreck...they all have to have GP referrals . When you go to the ER for chronic pain, all they do is say "sorry, see your GP'" oh, and here's some Ibuprofen 800...and that's IF you get a ER doc that's in a good mood!!
  • Firstly take someone with you they can explain your pain. When I was in constant unbearable pain, I would just bursts into tears too. My sister came with me to explain and explained more logically and in better sequence. She also told him how my high pain levels were and how it effected my life every single day.

There is an Intractable Pain Manual on this site. Search for it, it's great, wish I had read it years ago so then I would have prior knowledge of the spine
    (central nervous system ) pain journey and it wouldn't have shocked me so much. If your hands are numb look at the vertabrae where the pain radiates down to your hands on a dermatone chart. Sandi's avatar is the dermatone chart. It shows where the pain radiates from each level of your spine.

Sadly you have to do most of the research yourself.

Hope you have a less pain day.