Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie needs help - ACDF or Disc Replacement

Please help...Ive been in constant pain since last September. The neck pain came on suddenly (I wasn't in an accident or anything). The pain is located on my left side only (shoulder blade, arm and hand). I was also getting numbness and tingling down my left arm as well but this has been less frequent since I stopped my desk job. I've applied for disability from my employer's insurer but still haven't been approved...but that's another story.

I've tried almost everything....physiotherapy, massage therapy, acupuncture, IMS...but nothing helps the pain. I've also tried a number of anti inflammatories, muscle relaxants and pain medications. I was recently prescribed Demerol but that's done absolutely nothing. Dilaudid appeared to dull the pain somewhat but not enough.

I recently went for an MRI and here are the results:

Multilevel disc herniations with focal protrusion at the C5-C6 and C6-C7 level resulting in left lateral recess and neural foraminal stenosis as a result with left C7 nerve root impingement and possible left C6 nerve root impingement. At the C3-C4 level I also have a eccentric posterior disc protrusion. Add to that is that I have Cervical Spinal Lordosis Reversal.

I'm assuming that I'm going to have some type of surgery so that I can get back to living a normal life. I would really like to be able to bike and golf like I did before.

I've been doing a bit of reading and noticed that there is a procedure where they replace your discs instead of fusing your spine.

Any thoughts on the different surgeries or on different pain medications would be greatly appreciated.