Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does any one know if disc protrusions can heal naturally over time? I am curious of there are any others out there who have not had acdf surgery and how long it took for pain to subside. If there was any numbness did that subside too? I am curious as my pain is much better after 6 months but still aching with numb finger. Most internet searches say resolution in about 3 months. i also read one that said complete resolution of pain in 2 years. Fusion surgeries seems to be very common now a days, but not so common 15-20 years ago. I wonder how people dealt with it back then?

• The answer is Yes and NO. The main question comes down to wether it is bothering you any longer. There are many whom walk around with herniated disc and never know it is they have no symptoms. So if your symptoms get better I doubt your doctor is going to take new images and waste good money to see if it all looks good. But there are many whom conservative treatment helps to stop the symptoms and they go back out to live normal busy everyday lives.
  • Thanks for your response...I hope I'm one to get complete resolution without surgery. It's hard to wait it out. Hard to find others that did wait it out instead of surgery.
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    I agree with Tam but also there is a fine line of waiting too long with the symptoms of tingling/numbness with the risk of permanent nerve damage. Unknowingly I waited too long with mine and have permanent damage which wasn't and isn't presently very debilitating. Six years later I'm back in the same boat putting off the inevitable but keeping a better eye on the situation. Stay on top of the problem raintree, do your research, get more opinions, and ask a lot of questions.
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    MasonBrke said:
    Disc Protrusion treatment depend on the location, duration symptoms have existed and the severity of the condition. If you are suffering from Mild symptoms than it can eliminated by adopting good posture , I would recommend you sitting in an ergonomic chair.
    If it were only that easy but some of us aren't that lucky I guess.