Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Possibly another neck surgery 23 yrs later

martinbrmmartinbr Posts: 5
edited 06/29/2013 - 8:21 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, new, old to the forum. Haven't been here for awhile. I hope I am not breaking any rules here by posting these findings from a MRI, but I am desperate. I am in a extreme amount of pain down the left side of my neck and into the shoulder, and arm. It feels like it is getting pulled down by my lower neck area close to the shoulders. I can't get into a comfortable position and the condition seems to be getting worse by the day. I think I have a disk or a spur pressing pretty good on a nerve.

I am going in next week for a evaluation with a neuro surgeon. I am 61 years old and the thought of surgery makes me nervous about having some permanent pain problems to arise from surgery. I was going to go for a cortizone shot in the neck but it sounded to risky. The ortho explained that is would only be temporary anyway.

Maybe some of the experts around here can take a look at these findings and shed some light on what I am looking at as for as to have surgery or not.

Possible HNP. Neck pain radiating to the left upper extremity.
Sagittal T1, T2; axial T2 gradient echo and axial T1. Moderate amount of motion was present on axial images.

Vertebral body heights are preserved. There is in general fusion of the C5-6 vertebral bodies (sagittal T2 image 6).
There is mild straightening of the normal cervical lordosis. Alignment is maintained. No abnormal signal is seen in the
bone marrow the vertebral bodies. Cerebellar tonsillar normal in appearance and location. No abnormal signal seen in the visualized portion of the spinal cord.
Mild degenerative changes are seen at the atlantoodontoid articulation (sagittal T1 image 6). Disc osteophyte formation
is seen at the C4-5 and C6-7 levels adjacent to the fused vertebral bodies.
C2-3: Unremarkable.
C3-4: No central canal compress. Marked facet hypertrophy on the left causes moderate to severe foraminal narrowing
left. Right foramen is patent. Small joint effusion is present in the left facet joint.
C4-5: No central canal compromise. Moderate to severe facet hypertrophy and left causes moderate to severe
foraminal stenosis. Right foramen is patent.
C5-6: Congenital fusion without central canal compromise. Neural foramina are patent.
C6-7: Posterior disc osteophyte formation effaces thecal sac without ventral cord deformity. Moderate to severe facet
hypertrophy cause severe foraminal narrowing bilaterally.
C7-T1: Small left para midline disc protrusion moderately indents the thecal sac and causes mild ventral cord
deformity. Neural foramina patent.

1. Congenital fusion of C5 and C6.
2. Straightening of normal cervical lordosis. Preservation of alignment.
3. Mild ventral cord deformity at C7-T1. Effacement of thecal sac at C6-7 without cord deformity.
4. Severe foramina bilaterally at C6-7. Moderate to severe foraminal narrowing on the left at C3-4 and C4-5.
5. Mark facet hypertrophy on the left at C3-4 with a small joint effusion.