Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Perm SCS implant this Monday

Well, I'm going to bite the bullet and go ahead with this treatment. The trial was somewhat successful, not the be all end all to my pain that I had hoped for....but it did seem to help. Reading some of the posts here refer to using the SCS as a tool rather than a cure. I'm trying to think that way. Frankly, I'm just not looking forward to another surgery to my already sensitive and beat up spine. What was recovery like for you guys? They are not using the paddle style leads, so hopefully the recovery won't be too bad. Any advice???

• sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 06/23/2013 - 10:35 AM
  • Hope your surgery goes smoothly and that this tool is successful in helping to reduce your pain.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • Dryfly
    Good luck with the SCS
    Remember you will need several reprogramings to get it where it helps the most..
    This is normal not a set back. You have the right idea that this is just a tool to help with pain it is not a cure. Has far as recovery the way they install it makes a big difference.
    Did they say they would be doing any laminectomys? If not recovery will be pretty quick.
    I had four laminectomys which made recovery rough the first five days only.

You can always send me a PM and I will get back to you
  • Well, the surgery was yesterday. I'm now the proud owner of the Precision Spectra Boston Scientific SCS. Paddle leads were not used, fortunately from a recovery standpoint. I have to admit I was very nervous about having this done. As a paramedic I know what goes on, more so than the average patient.... Everything went well they say though. The two initial programs the BS rep gave me don't work well. I was barely awake from the anesthesia while he was trying to program the unit. I don't know why they do that as opposed to meeting the next day when your coherent. I'm definitely sore, about what I expected. I'm right handed, sleep mostly on my right and carry my handgun on my right side, so I requested the battery be put on the left side below my belt line. Anyway, we'll see how it goes after the initial programming gets ironed out. Thanks for all the replies and support folks!
  • The first couple of programs don't mean much. They will change has swelling and other changes are made. The next trip will be the important one.
    Good Luck
  • How do you really feel? Im older 56 and live alone. Im thinking home health care for 3- 5 days. Mine will be neck. IS IT REALLY not that bad?