Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New sciatica after lumbar fusion L4/L5

I'm 10 days post op from a mininimully invasive fusion (posterior, L4/L5). About 2 days ago, I began getting mild pain in my right buttock. It's gotten progressively worse and now shoots down my leg. Called dr. Office and was told this is normal & should resolve. But why is it getting worse? My post op follow up isn't until 7/17, when they'll check to see if he graft is taking. Otherwise. I only have a small amount of incisional pain. Anyone experience this?
37-HS Science Teacher, Mother of 2 (8 and 11)
L4/L5 Disc compression with spondylosis and severe arthritis in both discs
PLIF on 6/11/13 (minimally invasive technique)

• Sometimes the pain will get worse, in the beginning. During surgery they move lots of nerves around, and so on and they get a little pissed off. Also during surgery they add a lot of medication right on the site. So some will make it to the 2 week mark before the medications wear out and the pain gets bad. Also I am sure your up moving about, and doing more which will add to the pain, to a degree, but we need to up moving about walking, to help the body get used to it. While your surgery was minimal invasive, it is still major surgery, so remember it is going to take your body sometime to heal.

One thing I can suggest is to stay ahead of the pain with your pain medications as you don't want to play catch up. So be sure to take your medications on time each day. Once you see the doctor for your follow-up you can talk to them about weening from the medications. If your body is in constant pain it will take longer to heal. Hope this helps.
  • Thanks that makes sense. Overall I FEEL better each day, but it is super difficult to find a good sleeping position, so I'm not getting enough. Turns out I was allergic to the steri strips (which came off yesterday) and I'm full of itchy red welts. This on top of the achy back and painful left buttock! I'm not trying to be a complainer, already I have some pain relief from the bad arthritis I had, but I need sleep!
    37-HS Science Teacher, Mother of 2 (8 and 11)
    L4/L5 Disc compression with spondylosis and severe arthritis in both discs
    PLIF on 6/11/13 (minimally invasive technique)
  • I just had the same surgery on the 27th and am having some serious pain issues one week out. I can only describe them as "voids" a feeling that if i were to relax there would be nothing there to stop some painful motion. As a result, i find myself clinching my muscles, which eventually fatigue and cause pain. Are you having similar waves of pain?
  • Rb1969RRb1969 Posts: 1
    edited 12/16/2015 - 3:56 AM
    Can anyone help me, I had a spinal fusion on L4 L5. On 12-8-15. Back seems well only problem is trying to go to sleep. If I bend my leg any my sciatica gets so bad from my butt down my right leg It will lock up. My Dr says its normal. It's burning pretty bad I also get a little burn on my left thigh.

This is a very old post, the original poster has not been online for more than 2 years

For helpful information please click on link
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Liz -Spine-health Moderator
    Ronnie B
  • I am 2 and half weeks out from having L5S1 fusion and I never had sciatica pain b4 surgery. Pain is off the charts. Doc says this is normal but this pain is worse than the pain I had prior to surgery