Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

feel like throwing a parade for my hubby!

So I know a lot of people on here have great, supportive systems for before, during and after surgery. I guess my question is this... my husband has only been taking care of me 24/7 for a week now and already he deserves a medal of honor. He gets me ice, stocks me up on food and drinks, reading material (even the trashy magazines :) and never complains. Last night if I so much as rolled over (a feat at this point mind u), he was out of bed, repositioning pillows, refreshing ice packs, recording my meds on my med list, getting me saltines so I could take my pain meds, etc... He literally has a halo on his head. He is tireless and this is my 34th surgery and he's always been attentive, but this is above and beyond even his normal. I REALLY want to do something for him when this is all over I guess. At this point, I have a cleaning service coming to clean the house a couple of times to help him that way. He does all the cooking and enjoys it. I arranged for someone to stay with me last night and today so he could go play softball and attend a good friends wedding, but I've got to do more! He is an angel. My teenage children were great for a few days and now they're over it and irritated if I so much as look at them. Typical kids I guess. Anyway, anyone have any creative (remember my limitations!) that I can do for my husband to show him my appreciation?
Severe DDD in S1-T12. 5 disc herniations. 5 compression fractures. Had a 2 level lumbar fusion/decompression on June 12, 2013. L4-5 foraminotomy on Jan 8, 2014, Right SI fusion in Oct 2014. Scheduled for L4-5 fusion to existing fusion on Sept 28, 2015

• bmbutlerbbmbutler Posts: 90
    edited 06/24/2013 - 4:18 AM
    You are truly blessed to have such a wonderful husband. Remember (I know you will) to pay it forward as your healing progresses.
  • Been watching this for suggestions as well. I too have a wonderful husband.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • EMCEEMC Posts: 84
    edited 07/01/2013 - 4:12 AM
    with this back of mine and I guess looking back my advice would be tell him how much you appreciate him. thank him and do any little thing of appreciation or you end up divorced which is why i say that cuz that's where i'm headed...
    Also, try not to push him away, we chronic's tend to do so.
    take care
  • CamIamCCamIam Posts: 86
    edited 07/01/2013 - 10:34 AM
    EMC said:
    .....tell him how much you appreciate him. thank him .....
    I agree. Doing something special is always nice, but don't forget the simple things. Telling our caregivers how much we appreciate their thoughtfulness and kindness never hurts, and I am sure they never tire of hearing it - as opposed to never saying anything and having our caregivers feel taken for granted. :-)

48 year old freight handler. Bilateral foraminotomy, decompression of nerve roots and reduction of spondylolisthesis at L4-5 with open PILF and autogenous bone graft from left hip - June 13, 2013
  • I am glad to hear your doing well. What a wonderful husband. I can't imagine going through 34 surgeries.
    40 year old mom
    Tlif July 18