Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can I get some Los Angeles love?? Need to decide on my surgeon

Hi there.

After a long deliberation and several opinions and increasing symptoms and conservative treatments, I've decided to have a microdiscectomy on L4.

I had a microdiscectomy on L5/S1 in 2005, almost 8 years ago to the day. That surgery fixed my back pain but due to "complications" during the surgery my sciatic nerve was damaged and I was left with permanent numbness from my butt down to my toes, all along the nerve. Needless to say, this was a devastating result and it took me years to get over it. It affected everything from my job (which is very physical and thus it is a challenge to walk with a limp) to my self confidence to my relationships. It was quite a blow. I know many people here on the boards have been dealing with worse, and I'm grateful that I have moved on, but it is not something I want to revisit.

So now that it is time again for surgery, I am quite nervous. I worry that I am pre-disposed to nerve damage when the surgeon is in there digging around and moving nerves and muscle. I want a surgeon who is hyper-focused on my specific conditions and who has that magic combination of intuition and skill. All surgeons are board-certified and have completed fellowships.

I have met with three surgeons here in Los Angeles:
Surgeon #1 -- he performed my first surgery. He is a phenomenal surgeon; typically in the top 25 in the country. He has operated on ex-Presidents and athletes. He was Chief of Spinal Surgery at his hospital by his mid-30's. I went in to the operation with the fullest confidence and limped out wondering what the F happened. And I never really got an answer except that "wow...that's surprising and very rare." Even when I meet with him now he will not quite acknowledge that I have this issue and he certainly never does anything to assuage my fears. He operates at UCLA.

Surgeon #2 -- he is extremely compassionate and aware of my particular situation. He has mentioned a few times that his goal would be to get in and out with minimal damage (I know this is everyone's goal; I just like that he seems aware that I have this issue). He had performed thousands of microd's and has a private practice. He takes a neurological approach to the problem and believes in a mind/body program to recover quicker from surgery. I believe in this as well. He has high ratings on the health sites but I have not found specific reviews from patients who have had my surgery. He operates at St. John's, Marina del Rey, or DISC Spine Center.

Surgeon #3 -- another excellent surgeon, who was recruited for Cedar-Sinai because of his "unparalleled skill." He has operated on Royals (not that that matters) and published 22 peer-reviewed articles on spine surgery, as well as an actual textbook. He has a fantastic reputation and performs 250-300 surgeries per year. Had I not had such a bad experience on the first round I would have jumped at the chance to have him operate on me. But now I am skeptical. He did not seem as intuitive as Surgeon #2. I felt a bit like I was at the car mechanic's and that he wasn't considering the big picture but rather going with what seemed like the most obvious broken part without thinking of the whole engine. He operates at Cedar-Sinai, St. John's, Marina del Rey, or private centers.

Originally I felt Surgeon #2 was a no-brainer, but it scares me that I can't find any first-person accounts from people who have actually been operated on by him. Surgeons 1 & 3 have a mixed bag of negative and positive reviews, with most negative accounts being from people who had insurance issues or felt they were "cold."

What would you do????

• sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 06/25/2013 - 5:55 PM
    all three of the choices presented, I would be consulting with a fourth, fifth or sixth surgeon until I found one that I felt listened to me, I was comfortable with, and felt he was looking out for my best interests in doing surgery.