Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tingling at the back of head

I have been diagnosed with three herniated disc in my neck. All three also have bone spurs. I am 55 and have had neck soreness off and on for a number of years. I also have servere shoulder aches. At the end of May I had an appointment with a neurosurgeon to discuss two herniated disc in my lower back. It had taken me two months to get the appointment even with the help of my orthopedic doctor. The day I went for the appointment my neck was stiff and painful. He ordered MRIs of all three regions-neck, middle and lower back. When he received the results, he called to tell me to go to PT immediately. I have been going for three weeks. The numbness in my fingers is still there, my neck hurts to turn it in either direction but the worst symptom is the tingling in the back of my head. I am consistently wanting to scratch my head. Has anyone else had this symptom? I go back to the neurosurgeon on the 1st for a sit down meeting to discuss the findings. I have not ganed much from the PT because they said my muscles in the shoulders and arm were so tense they were afraid to do more than the ultrasound and TEN.

• I have the same thing, not only at the back of my head but also around the shoulder blades and side of my neck up to my chin. I don't know whats causing this sensation, I didn't asked my neuro yet, perhaps the tense muscles as you already said have something to do with it ? but maybe it comes only from the nerves in the neck.
  • I had my follow-up from the MRI and PT. Dr. wants to go 3 more weeks with the PT and also get the shots in my neck. He did not seem overly concerned about the pain in my arm and the tingling in my head and thumb. He did say surgery will relieve all the pain but not the loss of feeling in the thumb. He said this may never go away. One thing I have noticed is that the pain in arm is not bad if I am doing things on a large gross motor range but if I try to do anything in terms of small gross motor skill such as writing, the pain level goes up.

• I have now had an ACDF surgery on my neck.
    Before that I used to get tingling on the back of my head, almost in a semi-ring at about ear level. It felt as if I had goosebumps under my hair. I don't seem to get it any more. :-)