Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Permanent SCS implant scheduled July 24 - some help needed

Am having SCS permanent implant using paddle leads via laminectomy at T8 / 9 on July 24. I am across all of the pros and cons and have a good understanding of the risks etc. What I need help with is understanding the post op recovery issues.

* The unit is apparently the latest thing from St Jude
* I am having the control unit placed in my abdomen on the right hand side.

I have nerve damage at L4 and L5 on the left with a foot drop as well as some quad and glute issues on that side. I have an AFO on the left leg and walk with a cane in my right hand. On bad days I use forearm type crutches.

I believe there are some issues with raising the arms but I don't know much more. I need to know whether I will be able to use my right arm for the cane. I need to put pressure on it as I walk because I don't have the ability to toe-off. I also need to understand whether I will be able to get to my feet in order to put my brace and shoes on.

I know I will be in the hospital for a while because every time I have surgery there are some pretty serious issues getting my pain management regime under control. I need to understand what I am likely to be able to do after say 1 week then 2 weeks etc because it looks like there won't be anyone available to care for me post procedure.

I know I am asking a lot and that every case is different but some general guidance will help me to prepare for the post procedure issues.

Thanks (in advance)
Cheryl

advertisement

Comments

• TerriPTTerriP Posts: 303
    edited 07/23/2013 - 4:29 AM
  • I think you should. help with laundry, no lifting over pounds. try to read kathy's journal here from a year ago...titled the good, bad and ??? (honest?)
  • TerriPTTerriP Posts: 303
    edited 07/22/2013 - 4:50 AM
    I think you should. help with laundry, no lifting over pounds. try to read kathy's journal here from a year ago...titled the good, bad and ??? (honest?)
  • I won't lie to you, it's a hard surgery to recover from. It's funny, the doctors think its a walk in the park. I personally had a hard time, but I was feeling better after a couple of weeks. The biggest problem you'll have is once you do start feeling better is that you temper your activity and remember no BLT. You should be able to use your arm. The reason for no arms over the head is that particular motion will pull on the leads and you don't want that until everything is scarred in. You should be able to put your shoes on as long as you remember to sit down to do that.

Good luck with your surgery.

B.
  • I stayed with my mom for the first eight days, the worst was over by then. I was able to care for myself after the first week. I was back to work after the forth week. I think there was a slow improvement until about three months out and now I am rather evening out. I love mine and wish you luck!
advertisement