Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newcomer in pain considering surgery

Hello all! I have been dealing with chronic lower back pain for about nine years since a car accident. I recently had an MRI and I am showing both bulging and herniated discs in my lower back. I have tried steroid injections, PT, and acupuncture. All of these have made little to no difference in my lower back pain. I am only 28 yrs old. and can no longer deal with this excrutiating pain and it has severly dampered my way of life, even the simplest of things as sitting in a movie theatre are no longer bearable. I have the most pain when sitting and I do have numbness that travels down the back of both of my legs. My MRI also shows that my bulging disk is compressing the right L4 and L5 nerve roots. Pain meds seem to make no difference either.

I am scared to undergo surgery but it seems that it might be my only hope......... Any words of encouragement or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

• I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.

Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:

Read before you post

Tips for Newcomers

Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

• Maple LeafMMaple Leaf Posts: 8
    edited 06/28/2013 - 11:53 AM
    Hi Kim

Go for surgery ! I was the same back in 2003. Mine were removed and right from awaking from the surgery I was pain free...so liberating. Obviously I had pain from the surgery but that was nothing compared to what I was having. So my advice is go for it. Hope all goes well for you

ML x
  • Hi Kim, I'm also 28 and after having a slipped disk ( L1 and L2) for the last 3 summers, and taking the strongest mess that the doctors will prescribe which do nothing so I'm actually fighting to have the surgery done, it feels like its ruining my life because like you just going to the movies is painful to sit there for 2 hours, I'm currently on crutches which means my work won't actually let me work and I love my job!
    I was told there's no guarantee that surgery would help and that I could end up with a scar on my back for no reason but there's also a chance that it could work and as I'm being a bridesmaid this time next year I'm inclined to have the surgery because I don't want to go through life thinking what if?!
    I do feel for you and I hope you get the surgery that you need x
  • Surgery is a serious decision. I think you just have to decide can I live and enjoy my life as I am? If not, then its time for surgery.... If you can't enjoy life now and surgery makes it worse (a rarity, but can happen) then you weren't enjoying your life anyways. Chances are though surgery will improve your life.... your surgeon wouldn't suggest it otherwise. Think about it from the surgeon's side. Sure, he's going to get paid either way... but if lots of his patients have bad outcomes... its not likely he'll stay in business. I'd also suggest getting multiple opinions.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.