Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck Broken

In August of 2012 I had C3-C7 fused. In March of 2013 I fell and landed on my head. I was sore, but not bad so I didn't think to go to the doctor's office. It is now June 27, 2013 and I've had an X-ray and CT Scan and it shows that C6-C7 is broken. I must have broken it in the fall. My neurosurgeon doesn't believe in cutting for every little problem. He believes in more holistic methods of fixing an issue rather than going straight for surgery, which is why I trust his judgment. He wants me to wear a bone growth stimulator along with a hard collar with hope that this will heal the break. My pain level (at any given time) is between a 6-10 so I am constantly on Percocet and because I'm on Percocet you can add Senokot to that list of medications. Everything I do (standing, sitting, laying down) all hurt too much after a while.

Has anyone ever used the bone growth stimulator on their neck and had success? Has anyone used a collar and had success? Should I just demand surgery and have the cadaver bone replaced with new cadaver bone and a new metal plate? Your answers will be a comfort to me. The answers will help me work with my neurosurgeon and get the help I need now. I can't stand the pain anymore. Depression is setting in.
Lynne Krop
The Write Well

• FetbuzzyFFetbuzzy Posts: 3
    edited 06/28/2013 - 3:36 PM
    I had my fusion by a great orthopedic in Philly. 3 level With cadaver. I would say take care of yourself and try to see if it heals but if it doesn't go get it fixed...
    Mine fused in 3 months try this
    Calcium tummies from cvs. They contain 500 mg of calcium 800 vit d and phosphorus. I ate 3 a day ( dose and a half)
    Do not take NSAIDs
    Walk as much as you can every day
    Ask praying friends to pray for healing
    Raise your natural endorphins by getting hugs. Laughing. Eating hot food and some candy. I'm serious those percs will shut down your natural endorphins making withdraw very tough.
    God bless

Carol 48
    High impact car accident 9/16/11 hern 2 discs and found degen at 3rd.
    4/3/13 had 3 level acdf 4/5 5/6 6/7 w/cadaver and instrumentation Dr. Albert in Philly
    Fully fused in 3 months, and back out on the bike! Crazeeee!
  • Hi
    I was in a trial for bone growth stimulators twice.
    2006 was for two level cervical fusion C5 6 7
    2007 for lumbar fusion L4 5 and S1
    Both worked great with very good results.
    Mine was done at a private hospital along with a VA hospital
    I used them 24/7 for about six months each.
    Both very solid fusions, cervical was donor bone and lumbar was my bone.
    I hear they cut the time down on use now how long do you use it each day.