Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery for C4-6 due to stenosis & myelomalacia

I had a bike accident a year ago and suffered two herniated discs at C4-5 and C5-6. I got better completely after a couple of months of treatment with PT and maxgalin. The symptoms are back since a month and the situation worsened since last 20 days and i have burning sensation and sudden jerks in both my hands. Latest MRI revealed acute myelopathy and Myelomalacia at C5-6. I am scheduled for ACDF on July 4th. My neurosurgeon said that the burning sensation might not go away as it might be due to myelomalacia but surgery will stop further deterioration. He also said that myelomalacia is unpredictable and there is only 50-50 chance that it does not become progressive.
I am really scared of the surgery. On top of that i am scared of this term Myelomalacia.

Do people with myelomalacia continue to live longer without paralysis or other problems post surgery?

• Hi,

My MRI results are similar to yours, although I don't recall any injury or that may have caused this. So far have seen only one neurosurgeon, who recommended disc replacement, but am waiting for some second opinions before going ahead with any surgery. I'm also quite scared of Myelomalacia, and would love any info on how successful disc decompression surgery is in terms of preventing any progression or onset of symptoms (I have only mild ones at the moment).
  • From researching myelomalacia, I think the percentage of progressive myelomalacia is much, much, much smaller (like, less than 5%, or even lower). I had a 7x3 mm area of "myelomalacia" on my cord with surgery 12/8/14. My follow up MRI it is much less intense, but more diffuse. I am still symptomatic, but I have no idea what's myelomalacia, what is myelopathy, and what is another issue I have (dysautonomia). My myelopathy signs are somewhat improved. I have not done as well as many people. We each heal differently.
    The surgery was no big deal, quite honestly. Way less painful than I thought it would be. I had an excellent surgeon.

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016