Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi all,

I've been reading reviews on-line and educating myself about possible meds/combo's that would help with my chronic pain. I currently take Oxycontin 20mg x3, Flexeril 5 mg as needed (10 mg at a time wipe me out). I've been on Darvacet, Hydrocodone, Oxycodone now Oxycontin.

How many folks out there started on 20mg Oxycontin and then moved up in strength (20,30, 40 etc.)? 20 Mg isn't getting it done and I don't want to use Opana based on what I'm reading.

My PM doesn't prescribe meds for BT pain, so I have to get it right for the maintenance level of medication.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2

• When I first went into PM , I was on Oxycontin, and to be honest, it was, at that time one of the best meds as far as being helpful in treating the pain that I was in, however, the one big drawback that I found with using Oxycontin was that within a few months, the same dose, no longer was nearly as effective and despite going to every 8 hour dosing, by the time we got to hour 6, it seemed like the last hour or so was spent in a bit of withdrawal........so between the need to increase the dose every couple of months, then the onset of withdrawal symptoms every 6 or so hours, I opted to go on something else.
    I did try the Opana and I found that it worked comparatively well, and there was no withdrawal that came on suddenly just before the next dose....
  • It's funny that you mention the withdrawal Sandi because I thought I was just being sensitive to it. If I don't take the medication at the 7 hour point, I start to get the sweats, nausea, headache and feel like overall crap. I've been reading that he reformulated Opana doesn't work very well and trying to come off of it is hell. Any experiences with that?

Jim - I haven't tried Fentanyl. My doc is pretty conservative and want's to do injections. Usually a round of facet joint injections helps until the next time I do something where I'm active and it gets flared right back up again. I'm going to stick with this doc for a while longer. I don't want to change in the middle of filing for disability retirement from my pension plan. I think that would trip up the process if I did that. But, the whole thing about not writing BT meds is unbelievable. It's obvious none of his staff have ever has a chronic pain issue or they would understand what it's like to go through it.

• Conservative but am grateful to say at least prescribes norco for my bt pain. On top of the flexiril and the lidocaine patches and tens unit. I am takng mscontin and have had very good response I am happy dont have to go into withdrawel before my dose is due as many post I read on here about other meds. Granted the 12-hr thing did not work but taking 60mg every 8 hours is prfect i dont have to watch the clock stressing for my next dose as i used to with oxycodone. There even many times i have gone an hour, hour and half past because im at work on phone making reservations and just feel the pain starting to unravel and bother me but no wd's! My combo works pretty well 60mg mscontin every 8 hours plus norco 7.5 for breakthru can take upto 6x but take 2-3 a day. Only once or twice year do i get a really bad flare up and the ms and norco do not work and thats when i have to go in and get 4mg dilaudid shot and than a scrip for 4mg dilaudid for a couple days in lieu of norco. Good luck with your doc and case...
  • What shots are you getting?? Are the cortisone??? I have been on this hell ride of pain since i was 18 and had many many trigger shots,epidural and cortisone shots. I really wish my previous doc would have beenc onservative with those because i have now developed and been diagnosed with osteo arthiritis due to the cortisone steroid wearing my bones and calcium.. So now the procedures i get every 4-6months is low lumbar radiofrequency nerve ablation. It is a procedure that freezes and burns the nerve endings of the pain area therefore interrupting the pain signal. . . This does not make me pain free in any way but does lessen the pain a couple digits allowing to live life little better.
  • I've had radio frequency ablation twice, numerous cortisone shots (facet joint and trigger point) along with oral steroids. Not to mention oral pain killers. I've already got the Osteoarthritis problem going on around the fusion site and is creeping up my spine.

The steroids do help for a short while, but I can't live on them as you know.

• and stayed on it for over a year. I periodically like to see where my pain levels are at, without the meds so will change the meds around or lower the dose to see how I do with a lower dose, or a change of meds. I think that doing that is what has kept my med dose down over my 8 years since my first surgery.Anyway, I went off the Opana and changed over to the fentanyl patches once we got to a higher dose than I wanted to be at, so we converted.
    I am considering changing back to an oral med over the summer and think that I might want to go back onto Opana again. As far as withdrawal, I had no issues with the conversion to it, or coming off it and going to another med.
    And I found the pain relief very consistant, with no sudden drop of pain relief like there was with other med options.
  • Keith,
    I am on Oxycontin 60mg x3 a day, I worked my way up to this from the bottom over the last 2 years. It's working pretty good but I feel I need something for BT. My PM doesn't like to give me anything for BT, only when it gets real bad and I have to call him. Then he only gives me 5mg Percocet, which is nothing when you take 180mgs of Oxycontin a day. Know what I mean?
    As far as Opana goes, I was on 20mg of that x3 a day before the Oxy and it didn't work as good as Oxy. The bioavailability of Oxymorphone is really low. A few mo ago we decided to try it again just to change things up and had bad reactions to the new abuse proof formula of it. So we went back to Oxy 60. I had severe withdrawals the first time coming off Opana too. I researched it and it's a bad one to come off of. Just like Methadone and Fentanyl from what I hear. Oxy is the fartherest I ever want to go because I feel it's much easier and actually less addictive to one's body.
  • I appreciate the info. My doc thinks that perhaps my body doesn't metabolize medication at the rate it's supposed to. He did a test to see if that was the problem or not. I'll find out in a week or so.

The past few weeks haven't been too bad other than some sciatica that flares from time to time. Understand when I say "not too bad", it means I've been worse before, but not to that point recently.

I personally think that either I've developed a tolerance to the medication or it's just not enough to make a huge difference. I guess time will tell!
  • I was in moderate withdrawl this morning, mainly a bad sweat and that ick feeling. I don't like to take anything before 10 in the morning, so I waited it out. The thing is that my PM doc won't give me anything stronger right now, I take percocet 7.5mg 3x a day.

Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.
  • EMS GuyEEMS Guy Posts: 920
    edited 07/24/2013 - 2:56 PM
    I was in the same boat, but I was fed up with the roller coaster feeling of ups and downs by taking it 3 times a day. With the Oxycontin 20mg, I don't get the high or lows from taking it. Ask your doc about switching it because of that reason. I hated being moody all the time. I don't have that with the Oxycontin.