Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need replacement Neuropathic pain med(s)?????

Looking for any info on any nerve pain meds for sciatica ( burning, pressure{feeling like your sleeping on a jagged rock no matter what the poistion}, cramps in the arches and legs, boney part of hip tender to any touch, Jabbing pain where leg meets butt, having to walking on your two little toes, stinging at base of back)

I currently have the following.

1) 1 Lyrica 50mg ( works after 3-4 hours after taking, debilitating side effects)
a) Eyes won't focus
b) hard to remember words
c) Short term memory limited to 30 seconds
d) nausea
e) No eye hand coridination
f) balance so bad I have to "furniture walk"
g) Horizontal "wave" in everything I see, things get closer then farther away, cycle time 1/2 second and continous.

2) Amitriptyline 10-20 mg as needed before bed, works great
a) For the next 24 hours in a fog that mkes benadryl look like a picnic
b) reactio time slows to a crawl
c) mouth completly dries up, use 1-2 botles of biotine so I can talk

3) Lidoderm patchs 5% work Ok for minor episodes but $10.00/peice.

Any suggestions would be welcome so I can research them and talk with my PM about them.

Thank you for your time

Mr. Grouch

• Cymbalta, lyrica (which I see you have tried -but am unsure how long you have been taking it since you were on such a low dose), topamax, gabapentin, the old tricyclic anti depressants work wonders for neuropathic pain, and also seem to aid in sleep , some of them anyway.
    There are of course others, but those are the major , most often used ones .
    The problem with these type of meds is that there are always side effects, and each of these medications needs to be titrated to the correct dose- and then titrated down in dose as well. None of these medications are to be suddenly stopped, without the direction of your doctor since they can cause other medical issues .
    Usually , they are started at the lowest possible dose, and then slowly raised to the effective dose, with the least amount of side effects.
  • I have only tried Gabapentin.... I started on a very low dosage and it was gradually increased over a long time. My surgeon told me I'd see a huge difference but it would take weeks, if not months to reach the right amount/effect.... starting a high dosage or increasing too soon he said causes a good bit of side effects in lots of patients. I have had very good results with it. Might want to try it.... I see both good and bad on here about it, but since every person is different, it might work for you. If not, you can cross it off the list. I do advice though starting low and increasing gradually.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • started at 75mg 3/day then 150mg 2/day which put me in the hospital for 5 days. Cymbalta tried for six months no effect, amitriptyline is one of the old tri-ciclic antidepressents . the other one mentioned has been discussed and 2 freinds have taken it- both wreacked there cars due to it.

we are no trying lyrica 25mg/ 3/day to see if I can tolerate the side effects.

Funny in over 4 years there has only been one drug that has worked for everything and had no side effects, Daluidid. I have only taken while in the hospital so I have no idea of it's long term effectiveness. besides there is not a doc within 200 miles that will prescribe it anyway.

BTW : The nerve pain meds are only taken after 6:00pm. I can not drive for at leat 8 hours after they kick in.

thanks for the info. Its lidoderm patchs tonight, another 30 bucks down the drain.
  • cynmarccynmar Texas, USAPosts: 65
    edited 07/03/2013 - 4:54 AM
    I tried Lyrica, Neurontin and Gabapentin...couldn't handle the side effects with any. I'm on Cymbalta now. It started working the first day and I had two days of nausea & dizziness. After that no side effects. I take 60 mg per day. I spoke with my Dr. about adding another 30 mg, which he was agreeable to; however, it's expensive. I would be paying around $500 per month just for the meds. For now I'm sticking with 60 mg in hopes that I continue to improve...we'll see. I've also found a great Physical Therapist who has helped a lot with my Sciatica pain. In addition, I have a prescription gel that works on that stabbing pain in the buttock area. ( Voltaren Transdermal Gel). I've been at this for 18 years now. Good luck to you.
    Cervical foraminotomy 12/20/13 (herniated disc) C5-C6
    Lumbar microdisectomy 02/28/14 (herniated disc) L4-L5
    Mild Disc Bulge L5-S1
    Moderate Facet Arthrosis L4-L-5 w/gr1 Anterlolisthesis
    Spondylosis w/gr 1 Retrolisthesis L3-L-4
    Failed Back Surgery
  • MrGrouchMMrGrouch Posts: 108
    edited 07/03/2013 - 6:48 PM
    My PM gave it to me but only 20 mg once a day. I had no idea you could take 60 mg a day. When I did take it I did notice a very small improvement. However due to other non pain related issues I was switched back to Leaxpro and was told NOT TO TAKE BOTH. I sort of have access to a very good head doc ( MD) for my dad. I will ask him for a referall to a good one in my area. BTW: FYI I posted a topic on the depression forum about how anexity makes the pain 10 times worse so thats why the leaxapro, helps with aneity and depression.

Thank you for the info I will definatly discuss it with all my docs. Including the gel.

• MrGrouchMMrGrouch Posts: 108
    edited 07/05/2013 - 1:51 PM
    I can function better. not a drunk alzihermers paitent as much. Although no way I can take it before 3:00pm. My mind is still very slow so looking for a job is still out ( I am an engineer, would never pass the interogations) Going to try and get some "stoned" glasses from Walmart for driving since focusing my eyes is very difficult. Maybe that will help, if not they are the cheapest place around so hopefully not to much money wasted.
    BTW $ 343.00 for 90 pills!!!!!!
    You can always tell when I have lyrica in my system, spelling, grammer, and flow are really messed up, sorry.
  • cynmarccynmar Texas, USAPosts: 65
    edited 07/08/2013 - 8:35 AM
    MrGrochin...glad to hear you are a little better. This pain stuff is not fun. & way too expensive. Yes, Lyrica is not my friend. I understand about the spelling and grammar. I was stuttering, shaking and also diarreah. (lol) No way I could handle it. I work in a professional environment where I have to talk to clients all day. I will check out your post about anxiety and depression. Did you know that Cymbalta also treats depression? Hang in there & all the best to you.
    Cervical foraminotomy 12/20/13 (herniated disc) C5-C6
    Lumbar microdisectomy 02/28/14 (herniated disc) L4-L5
    Mild Disc Bulge L5-S1
    Moderate Facet Arthrosis L4-L-5 w/gr1 Anterlolisthesis
    Spondylosis w/gr 1 Retrolisthesis L3-L-4
    Failed Back Surgery
  • If you can stick it out with the Lyrica, the side effects should stabilize in a few weeks. I had some when I first went on it, and occassionally after a dosage adjustment, but just had to ride out the adjustment period, and then the side effects disappeared, and the only one that didn't was the weight gain, but even that, I was able to minimize by being careful about what I ate.
    Good luck I hope that this brings you some needed pain relief.