Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Limits after 3 Level fusion

I had my first 2 level fusion in 2007 at L3-L5 anteriorly. In April this year I had L5-S1 done posteriorly with laminectomy.
The future.....what does it hold? Will I have limits? Can I lift weights? Can I kickbox? Can I run? What about yoga?

Anyone with a 2 or 3 level fusion not have any restrictions once fused?

DDD 2 level ALIF L3-L5 in 2007. 4/11/13 posterior fusion w/decompression on L5-S1.

• I normally would say you can be relatively an active person after those fusions... but the things you mention... not so sure. My entire lumbar is fused, so that's slightly different. I'd think lifting weights (over 20lbs) would be out permanently.... Running.... well, I can't run anymore. I found this out for sure teaching VBS this year. We were doing a relay and all of a sudden, I realized my body just didn't "run". It was actually quite hysterical watching me try. My surgeon had told me "no running" but that might have to do with my total spinal history... (and I didn't think a short relay really qualified as "running"). I'd think though after you heal fully, if you are in good shape, you might be given the blessing to run as long as it doesn't cause pain for you. Now last.... Yoga. I use to LOVE yoga. I have thought a lot about it... and want to try it again one day. I know many of the moves I shouldn't do.... and many I physically won't be able to do.... but I loved it so much once I'm fully healed, I might try it again. I think these would be easy questions for your surgeon to answer, might even could get an answer from the nurse if you called.
    Best of luck to you with your upcoming surgery. I hope you are able to heal quickly and get back to most of the activities you enjoy.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • Hi...i already had the surgeries. I am 11 weeks post op. Can you tell I am bored and thinking ahead?! Lol someone asked me if I thought about my future. And I hadnt until that point. So now Im wondering if I will be free as a bird or have clipped wings.
    DDD 2 level ALIF L3-L5 in 2007. 4/11/13 posterior fusion w/decompression on L5-S1.
  • bmbutlerbbmbutler Posts: 90
    edited 07/09/2013 - 4:35 AM
    Everyone is different. The best place to ask these questions is your doctor and/or surgeon.