Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

i,m new here

well i have to admit i'm a little nervous i've been cut off from the world for a little while now save my therapist and she thought reaching out to an online support group might be helpful. Here goes, i'm in pain like it sounds like many of you are. my diagnosis is vague although i am having lumbar spinal fusion on july 15. that is just the beginning of it. i have what is called chronic exertional compartment syndrome which means when i heal from my back surgery i will have to have surgery on my shins. i have a vauge diagnosis of chronic pain syndrome or fibromyalgic like but not quite because when you touch the typical pain spots it doesn't exactly hurt there.so even my pain isn't quite right. there is something very wrong in my knees they really hurt but i haven't even been able to start finding out what that is yet because the doctor said what hurts the most and we have to start with one thing and work our way through.i'm married with 3 teen daughters and they try but NO ONE understands me i have been in the house mostly laying down for over a month now waiting for my surgery which was supposed to be in june but thanks to an insurance screw up is now july-15 my husband is more out of like with me than in love with me i think he thinks something like i could just deal with it even though he knows i can't and my kids are self absorbed teens. my house is messy the paperwork is disorganized and i can't believe i'm telling all of this to strangers and now i'm crying great! well there you have it in a nutshell my life is not feeling very good right now and i don't know if this will even do any good. but i'm trying to reach out for what it's worth. which i feel right now it's not worth very much.sorry to unload such a pity party

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Hi Bird

Pain makes everything so much harder to cope with. Teenagers are always self absorbed and husbands often either don't get it or don't know how to solve it. The trouble is that pain removes our ability to ignore their shortcomings. We spend all of our lives looking after them and we just can't come to grips with why they can't be there for us! As for the paperwork ... There's no way you're going to get on top of that one until your head is a little clearer. We all know where your coming from because we've all been there. Many of us are still there on a regular basis.

Don't feel bad because you can't do anything - you're in a pretty tough place at the moment. You have to trust that it will get better. Once they get the pain managed your life will improve.

Can I ask why they are doing a lumbar fusion when your diagnosis is vague? Have they done tests to see whether the area to be fused is actually generating the pain? I ask this because its a big surgery and it doesn't always solve the pain issues. Also - have you a pain management team that's looking at a medication regime that will assist with pain management?

Also - seeing as you are scheduled for surgery this month - why not join our "July surgery buddies" group. There are quite a few of us supporting each other through our surgeries. It's really helpful.

Have a read through the site. You will find heaps of handy hints on dealing with pain and also on coping with post surgery limitations eg having a grabber/reacher tool so you can pick things up without having to bend. I am heading for my third surgery this month and the people on this forum have been very supportive throughout each one. The info on this site has also been invaluable and certainly helped me figure out how to better cope with the day to day limitations of my condition.

• thanks for being so helpful i realize sometimes i make more sense in my head than on the page i have an excellent pain management doctor i take a pain medication regimen and that makes me able to cope during parts of my day. i have disc degeneration at L4-L5 and L5-S1 and i have had many different treatments, physical therapy, epidurals, radio frequency ablation and others after a disco-gram it was determined that surgery was best when i say vague pain i am talking about the million of other random joint and muscle pains that i have that are not rheumatoid arthritis or lupus or anything testable so far!
  • That makes more sense! You may find that many of those other pain points are actually caused by the problems in your spine.

What surgery are you having? I had a TLIF at L4/5 in November 2011 followed by an ALIF on L5/S1 with a revision at L4/5 in October 2012. I'm having a spinal chord stimulator (SCS) implanted via laminectomy at T8/9 on the 24th of this month to help with pain management.
  • sorry i can't remember what it's called besides disc fusion i have a hard time remembering and then i never write anything down i feel so bad i understand what he is doing for the surgery it's just the big words i get lost on