Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Questions about second surgery and Pain management

Hi, I'm new here but not new to pain or surgery! I had a 2 level (L4-S1) fusion in 2008 and in two weeks going in for then to fix first fusion screws that are floating around as well as fuse L3-L4. I am a recovering prescription addict from the first surgery and am very aware of what I am in for. I'm scared to death!! My questions are how have those of you who have been fused more than once doing? And What is the shortest time you have had to take the Narcs after surgery? (Right now I am on Lyrica and Cymbalta) Had to stop the Aleve which I didn't realize how much it helped till is was gone! :( Any and all help would be appreciated.
Soft hugs and pain free prayers!

• BabbleBBabble Posts: 9
    edited 07/08/2013 - 7:02 AM
    Hi, I have only had one spinal fusion done about 3 weeks ago. I'm still using pain meds now but have greatly reduce them. I don't have any addiction tendency so stopping is easy for me once the pain goes down. If the docs will give you Methadone (5mg) for pain to start (this is not refillable) and then change to Tramadol you should have an easier time. Docs where I live won't prescribe Methadone but I have use it in the past and it is far better than percocet. Tramadol used with acetaminophen if fairly effective with low addiction potential. Good luck.
  • Thanks for the info and kind words!! Gentle days to you!!
  • is for you to provide the surgeon, the anesthesiology department and whomever is going to manage your post op pain (pain management doctor) all of your history, including the previous addiction history, so that they can put some safeguards into place to help manage your pain , while being able to ensure that the risk of abuse is lowered .
    Just like you would give the surgeon and the other doctors relevant information about any other condition, you should do the same with your previous history. There are steps they can take to make sure that your pain is managed, while reducing the risks of abuse/misuse of the medications to repeat.
    Good luck
  • I have put those into place!! I have a great sponsor who also has back issues! Thank goodness. I appreciate your comment though it's always good for me when I can double check things off my list. I've also have an at home plan for pain meds/management so that I'm not in a position to over use. Still nervous about the whole thing! Thanks again!