Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PLEASE HELP - Laminectomy 6 days post-op

I had a 360 degree Laminectomy performed on my L5 S1 and still have a lot of pain doing the following activities;
- Sitting for more than 1 hour
- Standing / Walking for more than 15-20 minutes
- the pain is severe on my left hip/buttock and hamstring (feels like a charley horse)
- pain meds (HydroMorphine) is barely keeping the edge off taking 1 2mg pill per hour (at max scrip amount)

Is this normal at 6 days post-op?

Thanks for your help and suggestions...

• Hard to tell. Each person seems to be different. For me, my nerve root was swollen and bruised. I'm 9 weeks and 4 days (who's counting?) and can't sit for a long time. Sitting is one of the biggest stress positions on that area.

I think around 6 days I made it around the block and then went to ice, so you won't be walking a lot in terms of distance, but get a lot in in terms of frequency. You likely either had muscles cut or stretched a lot, so that takes time to recover.

I had the hamstring bit about 6 weeks. Some of it may be the nerve waking up, and some is sore tight muscles.

I think the 6-12 day range was pretty hard still physically. Hang in there.
    L5-S1 herniation (10mm), April 2013

Lumbar Laminectomy May 1st 2013

Lumbar Laminectomy April 18th 2016

• Appreciate the feedback - having never been down this path, not sure what is a typical timeline. Hearing you are at 9 weeks and still having issues explains the 14-16 week recovery recommendation by my surgeon (I figured to cut it in half). I now realize I have approached my recovery wrong - go slow and rest rather than push myself too early and have a setback.

Thanks Steve - great place to rest and recovery...
  • It is critically important for you to follow the discharge instructions that your surgeon gave you, otherwise, you risk doing damage to the area that you had surgery on. Walking, bending, lifting, twisting restrictions, etc, all are vitally important, and while you need to push a bit in recovery, doing so too early or too much, or too often puts your recovery at risk and being kept out of work or your regular activities for longer periods of time.
    If you are unsure of what the limits are, contact your doctors office or consult the discharge instructions from the hospital.
  • Thanks Sandy - I took your suggestion and called the surgeon and referred back to the discharge notes (very general no bending, twisting, lifting > 10#. Fortunately I was doing everything as instructed and have a great support network with my wife and adult children (thanks) which helps you honor the instructions. The doctor thought I was having issues with inflamation and has me on a 7 day streriod treatment and my Gabapentin. I am now 8 days post-op and feeling like I am starting to "turner the corner" with my recovery. THIS SITE IS AWESOME BECAUSE ITS MEMBERS ARE THE BEST! Thank you, for the past 3 years this site has been a godsend for me - glad I finally joined and can contribute to the community. Mark