Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Best beds and furnishings for sacroiliac pain

A young male family member (age 20) has chronic sacroiliac pain, tight muscles, and hip dysplacia. He has undergone many diagnostic tests and we have ruled out the presence of autoimmune disorder. Daily physical therapy (stretching and strengthening) and advil are helpful. We have some specific questions for ongoing pain management.

Is it better to have a super firm mattress with this type of pain? Should we invest in a new mattress and spring set? Are there any specific brands/models recommended for this type of situation? Other sleep solutions/adaptations?

What about home furnishings? Should we consider purchasing certain types of chairs? Or are there accessories or home remedies we can use to adapt our current furnishings (this would be the financial ideal)? What about adaptations for driving and car seats?

Thank you!

• I would recommend that he go with you to actually lay down on the mattresses and sit in the chairs to see what's most comfortable for him.

I use memory foam on top of a firm mattress. That works best for me. You may want to also look at air mattresses. We can't put brand names on here but it's very close to sleep # ;)

Each person is different as to what's most comfortable for them. Get his input!

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Although my back pain is different to his, have had a firm mattress and now a soft one. I found I had less pain on the firm one but this is most likely very dependant on the type of injury/pain.
  • We have a soft pillow top mattress and it is the worst thing I have ever bought for my back. It is so comfortable and soft, but it does not support my back which leads to pain all night and waking up to start my day already short tempered. I get the best nights sleep ever when we camp in our little pop up camper. It has a very firm mattress with a 2" memory foam on top and it gives me the best sleep I have had in a long time. I highly suggest he try out different options and buy a mattress that can be returned if he finds it doesn't give him the support he needs. Unfortunately, our mattress is only a year old and we paid over $1k and we are desperately saving to buy a different mattress. I am hating the fact I have to put that money out again. I hope he finds something that meets his needs and offers the support he needs.
    DDD & spinal stenosis L4-S1 since 2001
    30+ injections, PT, massage therapy, accupuncture, TENS unit, meds, etc but no surgical intervention
    I am not a surgical candidate
  • Isn't it a shame that mattresses cost as much as they do?!? Seems like a lot of money for some springs and foam rubber.
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • There is a lot written on this subject. In the old days firm mattresses were recommended for back pain. Today, the general consensus is more of a medium firm mattress. In almost all studies that I have read, they always point out that everyone is different. So the best advice is to try a number of mattress and lay on one more than a few minutes prior to buying one. I just bought a temperpedic mattress that has the ability to raise the head or feet. I slept on it one night so far. Last night was good. I hope that is the case going forward.