Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

11 mos post op, pain in lower back. opposite side of where other pain was

Hello to all, just wanted to ask a question, maybe someone might be going through what I am going through. On August 27th, 2012, I had a minumally invasive L3-L4 Spinal Fusion. I have screws in my back. And one of those ( I do not know what you call it right off hand) things that is replacing one of my disc. The reason for a fusion was I had a bulging / torn disc. I went through many alternative treatments, even chiropractic care. This 11 mos has not been a walk in the park. In fact it has been one of the hardest surgeries that I have ever had, and I have had quite a bit.

So, about 4 mos ago, I have been having pain in my lower left side of my back. It is pretty numb there. It was not numb there before. About a week after surgery, I was numb on the side of my left leg. It did not bother me, it did not shoot down the leg, so I was assuming it had to do with the nerves being cut. Well that numbness has disappeared. It is now on my lower left side of the back, and I get the most terrible pain there sometimes. Sometimes it is good. Sometimes it is not. When it is bad, pain level being a 1 - 10, its a 8. So, thinking its inflammation, I use ice, nothing helps, no heat yet. I am worried what this is. I have read that people get their hardware taken out, I am hoping that I do not need another surgery, I cannot go through what I did again, it was awful at first.

I have to mention, I was 100 % fused at 8 mos. I did alot of walking, and going to the gym and just doing what I felt like I can do. I was active before the surgery, so I want to stay active still. Last month, I just completed my first 5K walk/run. I ran. It took a little time, but being my first, I believe I did good. I went 3 1/2 miles in 50 min.

Anyway, I have called my Dr a few times about this, and he prescribes me Tramadol, and says it inflammation. The Tramadol does not work, and I have not called to tell them this, cause I do not want them to think that I am just calling for the drugs. That is not the case. I weaned myself off medication 2 mos after surgery. It has been a hard road. I work at a desk job, and I have to get up and walk every 2 hrs or so, and when I do, I am hunched over, cause I cannot stand straight up right away. It takes time for me to get moving and not being so stiff.

I just wanted to give a brief story on what was happening with me, so you know. My question is, could this be something bad? I know the story, will not know until the dr examines and finds out. Has anyone had this pain that I describe? I feel that there is something wrong. Or is inflammation constant? I have appt with the Dr in a couple weeks, could not get in sooner, they are on vacation. You go to a ER, and they do not know what is wrong with you, they cannot diagnose you, cause they do not know what your Dr. did. I am about to go though and just tell them, can you give me some pain relief until I see the dr. I do not know if they can. I was doing so good on being active and even starting to run again, but I got Tendintis on the top of my foot 4 mos ago, and it is still not right, but I did the 5K. Sorry to vent, This has just got me worried, and I do not know what it could be.

If you have any suggestions, I could use some. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Best of luck to everyone out there that has had or is going through what i have been through or similar.

L3-L4 Miniumally Invasive Spinal Fusion w/ cage and rods. 8-27-12

L3-L4 minimally invasive spinal fusion L3 - L4 with cage and rods. Aug 24th, 2012
Hardware Removal Feb 24, 2014
DDD, Thyroid Disease
Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
SI Joint dysfunction

• Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Can you take new MRI imaging? I don't know if the hardware will introduce too much artifacts in the films. Maybe one of the screws is doing something to a nerve.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • You think that is possible? A screw can do something to a nerve? Well more than likely he will tell me to get either a MRI or ct scan if the xray does not show anything. I hope its not bad.

L3-L4 minimally invasive spinal fusion L3 - L4 with cage and rods. Aug 24th, 2012
    Hardware Removal Feb 24, 2014
    DDD, Thyroid Disease
    Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
    SI Joint dysfunction