Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

please help review my MRI - worried

AngelicdragonAAngelicdragon Posts: 16
I had a L5/S1 microdisectomy February 13, 2012. I had 2 bulging discs above, one ruptured calcifying disc compressing the S1 nerve root and also 2 Tarlov cysts on the right side of the S2 . I have been on Lyrica 150mg twice a day ever since.
I have been getting leg pain once again. It started about 6 months ago and has been getting worse and worse. On some days I have resorted to an extra dose of Lyrica. I went to my GP who said it was just my weight gain ( due to the Lyrica) and basically just brushed me off.
I had my routine visit with my neurosurgeon and I mentioned the pain in my leg and how my left foot aches and my little toe feels like I have broken it near where it joins my foot. He sent me for an MRI, CT scan and Xray. Then he sent me for a nerve path study and from that result sent me back for another nerve passage MRI.
I see him again Sunday 28th for his verdict.
Meanwhile this is a portion of the result from the first lot of MRI/CT/Xray

If anyone can decipher for me and fill me in in the meantime, that would be great

ok interpreter wanted.. medical jargon.
L4/5 Mild bilateral facet joint arthopathy. Ligamentum flavum hypertrophy. No subarticular recess or spinal canal narrowing. No significant neural foraminal narrowing.
L5/S1 Broad based calcified disc present causes mild spinal canal narrowing and severe left subarticular recess narrowing with compression of the traversing left S1 nerve root. Enhancing tissue is demonstrated to encase the left traversing S1 nerve root consistent with scar tissue.

Moderate bilateral facet joint arthropathy.

Multiple Tarlov cysts demonstrated within the sacral canal.

Multiple scattered haemangiomas demonstrated throughout the lumbar spine

no evidence of retained disc.

Conclusion : Evidence of previous discectomy at L5/S1. Enhancing material is demonstrated in the left subarticular recess encasing the left S1 nerve root consistent with scar tissue/granulation tissue with residual disc also causing compression of the left subarticular recess and left S1 nerve root.
Judy 50
microdisectomy L5/S1 February 13 2012
PLIF L5/S1 January 31 2014; TLIF L5/S1 February 4 2014; 3rd surgery revision of screws L5/S1 February 4 2014

• but you have alot going on. I have no idea if the cysts and haemangiomas warrant surgery. the arthritis and scar tissue really don't think it warrants surgery. your sciatic and foot pain are likely from that S1 nerve being wrapped in scar tissue. some have had scar tissue removed I was told with my intractable pain removing it will make it worse. However, your doc will be giving you a more detailed explanation and plan of action...every doc is different. sorry we can't be more helpful radiologists and neurosurgeons study forever we do not...
    take care