Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Survived PCDF

Okay I made it with a couple of glitches. 7 day hospital stay somekind of infection but today was last day of 10 round of 2 antibiotics. Didn't seem to give me enough pain meds to control but I am dealing with it. So glad behind me and family has been keeping close guard. PT comes 2x weekly. Same with nurse. I'm sure my insurance co loves me. Have Bon stimulator on 24/7 and I'm praying I fuse. Will keep you posted on recovery,. Collar a little bothersome but need on for 3months. Thanks for list found very useful.

• Congrats, now your on the up hill climb. Be sure to follow your doctors orders to the T. As soon as you can you might want to begin a walking program as it will help maintain your core body strength. It is a great way to get out and see your neighborhood, take new routes and make it enjoyable. It is not about the speed you walk, just the time out. Be sure to keep the collar on. You can use a old sock, to keep it clean, by cutting a hole in the toes and sliding the collar through. This way you can just wash those and you have a clean collar.
  • Thanks tamtam. So far following , I bought extra inserts so I change out when I shower. When I eat I put a soft wash cloth in between collar and chin. Still using a walker since Pt person says I have to. Also I go for another CBC count Monday and my primary hopefully takes me off the oxegen but we bought one of those meters and I've only been using at night. Sure didn't seem like they gave me enough pain meds but what are you going to do. Maybe because of my infection. I had to get an extra boost of my infusion just 10 grams yesterday my regular is next Friday. Can't say that I wanted any needles but that's in my hand and I hydrated well. So I'm hoping when they take X-ray on 24th things look good.
  • I had a posterior fusion on my neck the first week of June. I know what you mean about feeling like they undermedicated you. I am still in the hard brace, but hoping the surgeon will take me out of it when I see him the end of July. That is when I go for xrays as well. Were you told you could you remove your brace/collar when you sleep and shower? I was. I am glad for that. I hope you heal well and are not in too much pain.
  • No I can not remove collar for 3 months, mystical47 what surgery did you have and when? I'm now in the itching stage where they shaved my hair. It will be 3 weeks Tteusday. I go for X-rays on 24th.
  • Depending on the type of anti-biotics and pain meds there can be a interaction that makes the pain killers less effective. I am on 3 months of rifampin and clndymiacin for a possible knee infections and it definately cause the pain meds to be less effective. I have had increased pain levels for 30+ days.
    Glad to see you made it to this side, hoping you have a pain free a recovery as possible.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • grammaof9ggrammaof9 Posts: 263
    edited 07/18/2013 - 3:24 AM
    The Pt guy killed me on Tuesday and I really had a set back better today. Still on opana 5mg but they gave me yesterday 10/325 of Noro. So far my family fixed me up so I could lay head down and I got a much better night sleep. But Pt guy will be back today and left me 4sheets of minimal exercise but the neck pain becomes increased so I did not do also 96outside and can't do any walking outside. I would think if I could that would be enough. So jan with neck brace coming over today so I can buy another insert and check on brace also Pt guy so seems to be a full day. Need to hydrate today since I get my 4 hour blood plasma infusion tomorrow. This happens and oh joy I'm still bruised all over from hospital stay.
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 07/20/2013 - 12:24 AM
    Was this your first spinal surgery, or did you have an ACDF first?
    I hope that your recovery will continue smoothly now your infection is dealt with. :-)

• Yes first for any spine surgery and hope never again. This was a posterior surgery. Thank you for yor wishes.