Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bony Overgrowth from BMP

on both sides of neural foramen impinging on nerve root. I felt the beginning of problems at 6-8 weeks. After 1 yr. a cat scan was done to see if there was any bony overgrowth. I was told the cat scan was ok. The pain has continued to get worse and
I can only walk 60 steps consecutively than pain is so great I literally can not raise my right leg to take a step. I am frustrated because I have been in pain so long and trying to live a normal life. Has any one else had problems with BMP? Anyone have bone removed from neural foraman? Thanks

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    it has been 4 years now and so far no problems. Im keeping my fingers crossed that there will be no future problems. BMP is not approved for the cervical area but we had no choice.
  • and still do have issues with the use of bmp in my lumbar spine. They used bmp in my second surgery, which apparently migrated to adhere the dura to the back of the vertebre at three levels in my lumbar spine. It also significantly closed off my spinal canal in that area, which means that my canal is only open 3.14 mm at last CT scan and MRI report.
  • thank you both for your reply. Sandy, you must be in a lot of pain. What options do you have for treatment?
  • Search posts on this forum from "ERNURSE". She had major bone overgrowth issues and actually was one of the folks who brought the issue of overgrowth to many people who had no clue that was what caused their pain. She did a lot of research on the issue and posted it on this site.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Thank you so much for your information/suggestion!
  • I have been absent for a while, and saw your post Laughnsmile. Due to a failed fusion (partial fused, then cracked), I needed a 5 level posterior fusion C4 - T2 to stabilize the mess....Infuse (BMP) was used to facilitate *cough* the best results for fusion.

Last Monday I lost most of my left arm and hand, and when there was no change the next day, my surgeon, (I am 21.5 months post op now) order me ASAP to the ER!!! I was admitted within like 3 minutes of walking in the door! I just got out of the hospital a few hours ago (arm/hand still the same, now losing right pinky finger), and am being FAST tracked to a spine surgeon who works with BMP complications types like us!!! Mind you, for me...I felt pain meds letting me function quite well, I was finally on the road of stable? My "bad" happened in less than an hour -NO other symptoms that I noticed, or felt, he'll at first they thought stroke!! Yep, that fast.

6 days of MRIs, CTs, NVCs, Emgs, Blood work, exams and then some - result? Extreme narrowing of my foremen (sp?) affecting my C5 - C8 !?!?!?! Just my suggestion? Get every test you can (as I did, and I'm sure they have more to come given the rapid onset in my case)) to have a DIRECT plan of action. I will be seeing this surgeon in the coming days to get this addressed ASAP. I am now using the last 3 fingers on my right hand to type this. I can move my left arm -at- the shoulder, but otherwise no nerves on "duty" in the majority of my arm/hand. PLEASE keep after that, as I am now sadly learning, this BMP is scary.....and here I thought I finally *was* on some sort of homestretch this far from surgery!!!

I'll be posting tomorrow (arm/mood permitting) of my mess - that might help you??? I just don't want to hijack your thread. Please keep us posted. *Hug*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I need a third surgery, due to a second onset of Cauda Equina Syndrome- which is a severe compression of the spinal nerves, however, due to the dura ( spinal cord covering) at three levels, it makes the potential for surgery very dangerous and will most definately result in a very large dural tear according to the two last surgeons that I saw. So until I loose my ability to stand up on my own or become completely paralyzed, surgery is on hold.
    Due mostly to sheer stubbornness, I am mostly still on my own two feet for the most part, although occassionally things take a downward spiral and I wind up using my chair , but for now, I take it one day at a time and do my best to be careful. A car accident or something like a fall could be the deal breaker, but for now I manage with the medications and trying to push through....hopefully I can postpone the inevitable for a while longer.....the whole idea of another surgery scares me half to death.....