Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

laughnsmilellaughnsmile Posts: 60
edited 07/12/2013 - 7:59 PM in Sleep Problems
Hi all,

I had a lumbar L5-S1 TLIF 2 1/2 yrs ago. I am in severe pain. It is like layers of an onion. The sciatica is down both legs. Then a stabbing pain in one leg. Then hip spasms. I cannot walk more than 60 steps consecutively. I just am not able to raise my right leg due to the pain. Although I have had complaints since 6-8 wks post surgery I recently found out I have bony overgrowth from BMP in neural foraman on both sides impinging on nerve.

I am working but with pain. By the time the day is over is straight to lie down in bed. Sitting causes increasing pain and standing causes increasing pain. I cannot sit on furniture for more than 2 minutes without pain escalating. My bed..new mattress from furniture row, doctors choice, is only place I can sit awhile but mostly lie down.

Here is the problem. It is mandatory I travel by plan 800 miles and stay in a hotel. Hotel mattresses can be horrible. I am concerned I will not be able to sit on any furniture or bed. Has anyone tried a blow up mattress? Do they come in firm? Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can take along to put on the bed so pain does not escalate. And I can lie down to alleviate pain and be able to sleep? Any and all thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

• a room with a firmer mattress or softer one , depending on which you prefer. You can also ask about a handicapped accessible room which tends to have things in them that aren't available in other rooms. They might have a recliner, I found those far easier to sleep on post op and easier to get up from.
  • Sandi, Thanks so much these are great ideas. Where I need to travel is rural and no franchises. If I am not able to find a handicapped room, do you have any ideas of what I can take with me? would a blow up mattress on bed help? or a memory foam. I definitely need firm, not soft. it can be soft on top by very firm under. Also do you have any ideas for traveling far in a car? I do not know if I am going to be able to tolerate the car ride or the stay. So I need any and all suggestions.
    edited 08/05/2013 - 2:00 AM
    In my job have to travel as well and find a wide variety of beds. I like to stay at Hilton's since they tend to have better mattresses for me than some of the other chains; the ones I stayed at had memory foam mattresses. If the room has a good selection of pillows that helps too. There is another chain that I stayed at that generally has good mattresses as well. I can't remember the name of that chain. There are some chains that I avoid. I don't want to list them here.

Everyone has different sleep preferences. I just bought a new bed and did a lot of research on this subject. Most of the research pointed to using a medium firmness mattress for back pain. That surprised me since I always thought firm mattresses are best. However, the research points out that just because medium firmness mattresses seemed best for most, everybody is different and people should try different types of mattresses out to see what works best for them. The same could be said for hotel chains. So just because I like the one chain, does not mean that you will as well.
  • on another bed other than my own I take a memory foam overlay with me ..its a bit bulky but very handy .I took one to fuerteventura when I went on holiday and I sold it to one of the staff while I was out there .I bought another one when I came back home .
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014