Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Doctor told me gluten allergy causes sciatica?

Went to the ER last night because my pain meds just were not touching the pain. The doctor there told me to get tested for gluten allergy because it is probably causing the sciatica. I have never heard that before. Has anyone else ever been told that? I have never had an MRI because my insurance won't pay for it. I did have an X-ray at my chiro and he showed me the part of my spine that the problem was.

• What did the x-ray at the ER say? Normal?
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • X-ray will show nothing but bone, if you are having sciatic pain and it won't go away you should get a MRI. That is the only way you will know if you have a problem. X-ray will not show the discs, I made the mistake of having a chiropractor make a diagnosis off an X-ray and ending up needing surgery because he said I was " out of line" and ended up rupturing a disc. If you have ongoing problem although it is expensive an MRI or ct will let you know for sure what you are dealing with. As far as gluten I can't imagine how that would cause sciatic pain but it may be reacting with you pain meds if you have a allergy due to gluten actually being in you medication.
  • PamhoffcaPPamhoffca Posts: 163
    edited 07/15/2013 - 12:06 PM
    I would make some calls to see if some places will do the MRI for cash and ask the price. If you tell them u have insurance, they will charge you 3 times the amount....even if your insurance pays zip for an MRI. Weird I know. Just ask what the cas price is and get one. It's the best tool for a good diagnosis.
    CA Wife and Mom, 55, L5-S1 Microdiscectomy on 7/12/13