Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L1-L3 Corpectomy Fusion (L2 Burst Fracture)

Hi Everyone,

I am so happy there is a place where there is more information on what is happening to my body, and where others understand the pain and agony.

So my story starts with I had a bad fall and had burst fracture in my L2, the doctors wanted me to wait for it to see if it would heal. I sat in the hospital for a week, PT kept trying to get me out of bed and walking but my back hurt so bad from the pain it was impossible, no matter how much people pushed me.

On the fourth day of my back being broken, I started to notice a decrease in strength in my left leg, I could no longer pull my leg towards me or keep my leg straight when bent at the calf. The doctors then told me that I needed to have an operation to get the pressure of my spinal cord. That night I went in for X-rays, an the next day I went in for surgery.

The operation is usually 4 hours, but my surgery took 6... there was a lot of broken peices... I remember waking up in recovery and screaming in agony, I apologize if I scare anyone. When I went back up to my room they put me on morphine which made me nauseated, I puked the whole night, they then switched me to fetanyl which was better but not strong. I am not sure but the doctors mentioned I had a high tolerance to the pain medicine.

The next day PT had me get out of bed, and this was so much better pain wise than when they were originally trying to let the fracture fix itself, like a million times better! I was able to get up with half the amount of pain. In a couple of days my left leg started to get it's strength back.

I am currently 4 weeks out of surgery, I am noticing that I am having pain and swelling in my left hip and abdomen area. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this pain, how long till it goes away? Also the pain is really bad in my back when I wake up in the morning, does that ever go away?

I am starting to get depressed, will this pain ever go away! I have read other forums and other experience this moment of depression.

Any insight of how long, or other things I might experience would be awesome...

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 07/15/2013 - 1:31 AM
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I had a bad fall from my ladder breaking when I was about to get off the roof of a house. Landed on the sidewalk (February) and ended up with an L2 burst fracture. They tried for 4 days to get me up and walking but my left leg was killing me. Also because of my fall I ended up with blood clots in my right leg and lungs. Got put on blood thinners immediately which was good for clotting but bad for having a surgery. Because of the thinners they opened me up at my left side about 8". Was in hospital for 21 days.
    Five months after the surgery I had tremendous pain in my left leg and had emergency surgery to remove fluids that had built up around my spine. Two days later had to go back again to get drain tube installed and drain again. Six days later ended up in hospital with blood clots in my left arm. Doing all of this knowing that I still had a torn labrum in my hip.
    Now, Pain Mgmt Dr says I am candidate for nuerostimulator installed into my spine to give me some relief with the permanent nerve damage I have in my side and leg. Have decided I am going to get my hip repaired before I think about having electricity inside of me. Ten months of sitting around in my recliner and counting!!! Not sure what is worse, the pain or the depression!!!
    Life is a war and I am trying to battle my way through it.
  • Also had a laminectomy in there somewhere too... Hard to keep it all straight! Was on narcotics for about 4 months and then decided to get off of them. Was the worse time of my life!!! No matter what future surgeries I will not go on that stuff again!
    Life is a war and I am trying to battle my way through it.