Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My husband had a spinal fusion, we are lost and confused

jaci gilljjaci gill Posts: 1
edited 07/15/2013 - 1:28 PM in Recovering from Surgery
My husband is only 30 years old and has had a 2 level spinal fusion on his s1, l4 and l5 vertebrae. it had been over a year and his pain has not gone down. He was diagnosed with DDD when he was 14 yrs old and the doctor told him if he didn't stop working manual labor he would have to have surgery by the time he was 30. there are so many.people who have had various spinal fusion that seem to be getting better, but Aaron isn't getting better. the pain is debilitating. We tried to get in disability so that he didn't have to go back to work but he was denied twice. He recently started back to work as a trim carpenter and he tries to be careful but he comes home in so much pain. now the doctor wants to put him.on morphine. the idea of such a strong pain reliever scares us. We have two young children who wants to have their daddy back. we don't want him drugged up all the time. our quality of life is just going down hill. I don't know what to do next. I'm sure something can be done though

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • AllMetalAAllMetal Posts: 1,189
    edited 07/16/2013 - 3:21 AM
    Sorry about your husband's experience and how you and your family are suffering. I can't speak about morphine as I've only had it short term when I was 9... I had an allergic reaction, so never had it since. I can speak a little about dilaudid and oxycodone, other "powerful" pain killers. I have had to be on oxycodone multiple times in my healing process. The perk was, it was an affective pain medicine for me, the bad was I had to endure the "foggy head" symptoms which I hate. This meant that I would ONLY take it when my husband was home. After my last surgeries I received a script for dilaudid instead of oxycodone. I was surprised and upset. In my head dilaudid was a much "worse" drug. My surgeon just explained that he wanted me to try something different and that the pill form of dilaudid was different than the IV form (how it interacts in the body). I used the very lowest dosages, and I found that the only bad side effect I had was being extra chatty. As a precaution I still ONLY took it when my husband was home, however it didn't give me the foggy head. My point is, don't freak out because its "morphine".... it could really help your husband and might not be nearly as scary as you expect. I also think that for many, the idea of taking stronger meds is scary because if you go down that road, you might never get off of it. That's not necessarily true. Lots of people (including me) have had to take stronger meds for awhile and still came off of them... Of course, there are some that do need them for the rest of their lives, but needing and taking pain meds under the care of a good PM doc is a FAR cry from an illegal drug user and the two shouldn't be confused.

Another thing your husband shouldn't give up on is physical therapy. I'm sure he did physical therapy already. I speak from so much experience in this department, the right physical therapist at the right time can make a HUGE difference. I've had experiences with PT that made my pain worse, PT that just didn't help, but also PT that made all the difference. Your husband should look into PT again, possibly at a different facility with a different physical therapist. It could give him tons of relief.

I hope things improve for you and your family. Good luck!
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • RTgirl2011RRTgirl2011 Posts: 512
    edited 07/16/2013 - 8:31 AM
    Did you have a lawyer when you filed for disability? You shouldn't of given up when you were denied twice. I have had a two level lumbar fusion and now I am on disability. I used a lawyer and was approved on the first try. If you get denied twice you are entitled to take your case before the administrative law judge. He will decide if you are disabled. My advice would be to get a lawyer. Most will not take any money until they win your case and Social Security will only allow them a percentage of your back pay.

Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.