Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ifuse surgery scheduled

My I Fuse surgery is scheduled for Aug 6, 2013. I would like to know what to expect from someone recently that had it done. I had a injection that took my horrible pain away. I had 5 days of relief, and then the pain came back with a vengence. That's what the Neurosurgeon was waiting to hear, so he could give his final diagnosis. He told I would be walking with minimal weight bearing for 6 to 8 weeks, and then PT. I've been reading what different people wrote and they were from 2012. I was wondering if it's been changed to minimal weight bearing, from no weight bearing, recently.

• I had my iFuse procedure on August 6, 2012. :-) I was up walking on my own just hours after the procedure. Restrictions as far as weight bearing are up to the doctor. There are still people who are non-weight bearing for the whole 6 weeks. You can read my story which includes my e-mail address - http://www.spine-health.com/comment/281420#comment-281420 Yesterday I posted some information about post-op - http://www.spine-health.com/comment/305306#comment-305306 Please feel free to e-mail with any questions of concerns that you might have. SI-BONE made a set of Post-Op Activity Guidelines which start the day of the procedure. Havw your doctor contact his Sales Rep to get them for you ahead of time. (If you run into a problem I can send them to you) Diane
    I had the SI-BONE ifuse implant procedure on August 6th 2012.
  • Charmae and I have been talking threw Private Messages. She finally had the iFuse Procedure on August 26th and seems to be doing great. The following is my reply to her PM but I thought I would share it with all of you who happen to be watching this post or read it in the future.

Dear Charmae, You are now 3-1/2 weeks post-op and I'm assuming everything is still going great. As time goes on and the longer you are up moving around if you notice increases pain that's a sign to slow down. Like my doctor said "Let the pain be your guide" For me that little lean over and turn was an OUCH!!! at my si-joint. For instance when you lean over to put something in the oven or take dishes out of the dishwasher. Just stand directly in front of what ever it is that you are reaching for, picking up and or doing what ever. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say "I hurt so bad - been in bed all weekend" That's because they over did it. Just because you are feeling great and can walk around your house doesn't mean you can go to Walmart at 1 week post-op or House Hunting for 3 days at 2 weeks post-op. First increase your walking in your house. Then down your sidewalk and back. Then out your front gate to the neighbors and back. I think you got the idea. "Take baby steps" SI-BONE made a set of Post-Op Activity Guidelines that start the day of the procedure by suggesting ice for the incision area and simple easy exercises that you can do while laying in bed. The exercises address every muscle that they went threw - disturbed during the iFuse procedure. If you weren't given anything like it it's a "Must Have it Kind of Thing" If your doctor doesn't have it he can get it threw the Sales Rep at SI-BONE. I have it and can e-mail it to you but I completely understand your hesitancy not to e-mail me. Do you have facebook? There are 3 SIJD groups there. The newest and my favorite is Si Joint Disfunction. That PDF File is there. Seriously you should come join us. Everyone would love to hear about how great you are doing and it would benefit all the people who have SIJD and are in the thinking about what to do stage. Take care and talk to you later, Diane
  • charmaeccharmae Pittsburgh PaPosts: 3
    Hi Diane, I have been doing great since surgery until Tuesday, the 15th. I started Physical Therapy as the Dr ordered, and only did the bike for 6 mins with no problem. Then he had me do several core exercises ehile laying down. When I left my Left butt cheek eas hurting, and surgery was done on the right si joint. As the day went on that pain wentt away and then the pain eas as bad in the right side as it was before surgery. The therapist told me I didn't need to use my cane anymore, and I'm wondering if it is too soon to start theraoy. I'm in my 7th week since surgery. The pain does go away when I lay down and on a heating pad. If I'm not walking to much, I'm fine. Concerned I am doing to much walking. I've even done a little grocery shopping with no problems. Something in the therapy messed me up. I feel like I've went backwards. I do have a call into the Drs office. I was his 30th patient to do this surgery.I've been so excited as that pain was so aweful for to many years. This surgery was my answer to prayer. I received very little post op info.I've been learning as Time has went on when I've overdone myself. I did try to find your group on facebook, but it keeps saying not gound. I will try again today with my laptop. I was using my tablet. I still can't sit for 45 mins at the most. They did tell me no more than that and I've found that a half hour doesn't cause me pain. 45 is pushing it. Drs appts have been very hard for me. Please give me your email again. Charlene
  • Why did your doctor send you to physical therapy - Like are you having issues with mobility in your operative leg? Is this the physical therapist that your surgeon has sent everyone else to? Did you have the Post-Op Activity Guidelines from SI-BONE and or have you been doing any exercises like ankle pumps, heels slides, quad sets, etc for circulation and the muscles that were disturbed during the iFuse procedure? I think depending on how active you were before the iFuse procedure plays a huge roll in what post-op is going to be like. If you worked up till the iFuse procedure issues with muscles should be minimum. If you have been popping pain pills for 22 months just to be able to sit around and do just about nothing like I was then issues with muscles are expected. I do have some friends who started warm water therapy. The warm water can make your body feel better and should be easier on your body. Do you know the difference between muscle pain at the si-joint verses si-joint pain? In my opinion if the physical therapist screwed something up you would be in worse pain now then before the iFuse procedure. *fingers crossed* that you are having muscle pain do to imbalances and or muscle atrophy. I don't think anyone receives much information about post-op. Sitting - do you own a foam donut if not I highly suggest you buy one. At two days post-op I could sit comfortable for 2 hours on the foam donut. Walking - the average person at an average pace can walk 1/4 mile in 6 minutes so if you are up on your feet walking around for 24 minutes that's like walking a mile which is borderline of to much. They say if walking causes pain, issues with your piriformis muscle to slow down, walk less. My e-mail address is lady.di@comcast.net *HUGS* Diane
  • I have been reading any post I can find regarding ifuse and how people are doing after the surgery. I like many on this post am at the end of my rope due to pain and need to find a cure so I can get my life back. At some point while reading about si fusions I read that the doctor has to adjust you when you are on the operating table (similar to what a chiropractor does) and if they don't get you adjusted correctly you will be in continuous pain for life. Does anyone know if that is true and if it is also done with IFUSE? After everything i have went through with all the painful surgeries i don't want to just jump into another one with a 50/50 shot. I would like to know there is a good chance I will be successful and painfree. If i could go back in time i would not have had the fusion done due to causing me increased pain. My sister in law had her si joint fused the old way and said she is pain free but my PMD told me I should not do it and apparently doesn't believe in it. I can't stand the pain and I don't want to keep taking pain meds and being miserable the rest of my life. Any info would be greatly appreciated. My info: Accident 2007, 3 fractures in pelvis and herniated disc, low back, leg, hip and buttocks pain. Had lumbar fusion L4-L2 (2008), redo due to non-fusion L5 - L2 (2009), hardware removal (2010). Either I always had the si joint pain and it went undetected due to the disc and pelvic or it appeared due to the lumbar fusion. I believe it went undetected because my pain has never really changed maybe worse after the surgery. Sorry so long, newbie here....feel like I could go on forever. Also, is there any possibility that I will have additional disc problems below my fusion due to the stress of the fusions (Lumbar Fusion & SI Joint fused)? Thanks again, hopefully this forum isn't too old.
  • my wife was sched to have ifuse surgery on mar 7. dr called today to tell us that blue cross of nepa wont cover it.. anybody shed some lite on this? ; this was not good news..
This discussion has been closed.