Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can't wait until it's all over....

Where do I begin...for a very long time in my life, I suffered from minor back soreness, but not really pain. My first episode was in October of 2012. I was laying out getting some sun and after awhile of laying down, I tried to get up. Turns out I couldn't even move. I had no strength in my pelvic region. Security saw me on the surveillance cameras and came to the rescue (they actuallly thought I was drunk). Security had to lift me up, since I was not able to move at all. I was able to stretch it out a bit and start walking back to my apartment. Since I had never experienced this before, I made an appointment immediately with a doctor to be checked out. From the x-rays that doctor did, it showed that I had a defect in my L5, which was causing what he called, a second degree forward. My L5 was missing the connector in the back and was only connected by the main middle canal of the spine. The doctor advised me this may have been from birth, or at some point in my toddlers years, I could have suffered from a bad fall. The doctor explained the surgery was nothing, but if I could deal with it, to just let it ride out until I can't and then return. So, there I went to attempt to have a normal life again. Wrong! I couldn't work out anymore, because for some reason, after that episode I noticed the pain was becoming more and more unbareable, to the point that even standing for a certain amount of time, sitting for a certain amount of time and even laying down for a certain amount of time, was causing alot of pain and strain to my lower back. I rode it for another 7 months, until finally it caught up with me again. I was having a back weekend with pain, so I decided to lay down and rest most of the weekend. AT one point when I got up to go to the restroom, I started to feel my leg numb, tingling and even weak in the knees. This started to worry me, since this had never happen before to the extreme that it was. So, come that Monday morning, I went into the ER to be checked out, since waiting for doctor appointments can be a pain in the rearend. I was checked by the doctors, given different rounds of meds, and the end result was the same. I couldn't walk and the pain was not going away. They even gave me morphine and it didn't mask the pain. So the ER makes the decision to have me admitted, for further testing. An MRI, an x-ray and a Cat-Scan were performed and it turned out my L5 (the issue point) was compressing tne exit nerve roots, which was what was causing the leg problem I was having, aside from the back pain. It was decided that an ESI would be the best remedy at this point in the game, so I was game for it, just as long as it helped me. Well what can I say about the side effects and how I have been feeling? Not thrilled AT ALL. For starters, I came out of the hospital completely broken out in acne on my face, when I don't even suffer acne. The bloat and weight gane has been disgusting (about 10 lbs). My menstrual cycle was late a month and a half and when I finaly got it, guess what? It's been 17 days with it straight now. I contacted the office of the doctor who performed the ESI and his own staff told me that my symptoms are unheard of and not possibly. Really??? As if I didn't know my body and can tell when something is wrong. I even contacted my gynecologist and she herself told me, those symptoms are normal in female patients after an ESI and do get better with time. Why does a Gynecologist, who didn't perform the ESI know the side effects to women, but the doctor who performed the ESI, has staff that was clueless and even made me feel stupid and crazy for thinking so??? The best part about it all. Yes the ESI is masking the back pain, but not relief to the leg numbness and tingling. My foot swells after awhile, my calves cramp up throughout the day and guess what, I wake up in the middle of the night, about 3 to 4 times a week with leg spasms. JOY!!!!! Luckily I am scheduled for surgery for August 2nd, to replace my disk with a plastic, to help with the nerve compression and back issues. I am hoping and praying, that for the long term, all this will get better and my life can return to normal and I can start working out again. I went from an active life, to a non-fully-functional lifestyle. Such a terrible thing to have back issues. Word to the wise women, if you feel weird, your best bet is to contact your gynecologist from what it seems.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery