Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lower Back Pain

Hey everyone. I have already posted on here about my back, but I will still explain my situation. On September 8, 2012 I injured my back whenever I was doing a one handed pushup. When I was coming back down from it, my back twisted sharply. I began to have pain the next day after that. After a few weeks it was still hurting so I went to my primary care doctor and she told me that it was probably a muscle problem and gave me muscle relaxers. The muscle relaxers did not help at all and so I went back to my doctor and she then sent me to get an x-ray. The x-ray was normal and so I was sent to physical therapy. I did physical therapy for a month and at one point it got a little bit better, but then it went straight back to hurting how it was before and even a little worse. I was in marching band at this time and so I couldn't make too many appointments due to practice. After a month or so after that, I finally went and saw a back doctor. I was sent to have an MRI done. What the doctor told me is that it looks like a very small bulging disc on the left side although my pain was all on the right. He then sent me for more physical therapy because he said it was probably just a bulging disc. I did another round of physical therapy for two months and it only made it worse. My physical therapist thinks that it could have started out as a bulging disc but has now turned into a herniated a disc. He referred me to a neurosurgeon and so I went to him. When I went, he said that it looked like there could be a herniated disc but he wasn't sure because the MRI wasn't that clear but he did not have me get another one done. He said something also about how my SI joint could also be causing me pain but he did not know. All that he wanted to do was cortisone shots and I did not get them due to the amount that it was going to cost us. That was in March I believe and I have not gone to a doctor since then. My pain is still in my back and the biggest part is on the right side. I also have leg pains at times that sometimes go all the way down to my foot. Whenever I do a lot of walking, I have severe pain for weeks. It hurts whenever I get up, whenever I sit down, when I run, when I walk, and when I bend over just the slightest. Recently I have even had a little but of pain on my left side of the lower back. I didn't know if a herniated disc can possibly herniate on both sides over time and cause pain. I don't know what to do about all of this and since I am leaving for college in a month, I'm kinda stuck. I am on medicaid right now due to some family problems and losing insurance and so there are very few doctors to choose from that might not even be good. I am moving to Houston so if anyone knows any good doctors there, that would really help me! Well, that is my story and questions. Sorry that it is so long.

• None of the issues that you described sound like it should be a lifetime affliction. I am not a doctor, so I am unable to give you any medical advice. However, you do want to let the doctors help you. The cortisone that you turned down could knock out inflammation and allow healing. As long as you continue to agitate your back, it will stay inflamed. The cortisone can open a window for you to strength some of your core muscles in your back without agitating the nerves. You do want to do back exercises. Follow your doctor's instructions and find the bucks somewhere to get treatment. Don't give up and do get treatment. It is no fun to run around with pain and if you can get some help, accept it.
  • It's not that I want to go against the doctor, it's just that they were going to be $600 and up which is not something that me or my family has right now to put out on something that might not even work in the long run. That was the only thing that the neurosurgeon even offered as well and he was guessing on it. He even said that the MRI was hard to read but would not do another MRI whenever my parents even said he should. I don't currently have a back doctor. I am looking for one in the Houston, TX area because I will be moving there in less than a month for college and will be doing marching band.
This discussion has been closed.