Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need help with lower back, hip, leg pain

AmechelleAAmechelle Posts: 8
edited 07/20/2013 - 4:06 PM in Lower Back Pain
I am new to this site thought maybe I could meet some people that are going through the same things as me. In January of 2011 my hip started burning and hurting to the point of not being able to walk. I blew it off never happened again until 2012 I was awaken in the middle of the night with the same pain but when I got out of bed the pain was so sharp and horrible I was in tears couldn't walk, so my husband took me to the ER they said I had sciatica. I followed up a week later still having trouble walking sitting and standing up so I had a MRI done buldg in L5 S1, degenerative disc disease, fracture in L3 and arthritis which I have had arthritis in my neck down my back since I was 17 from a car accident. The doctor told me not to worry about it so I went on, a few days later still same problems I called and had a MRI of my hips where they found a benign tumor which they removed and now it has been 4 months. I am still having the same symptoms but worse my hips give out on me where I can't walk my lower back is in horrible pain and my groin down to my knees. My middle toes tingle along with my fingers. I had another MRI done and nothing showed up for L5/S1 small buldg in L2 degenerative disc disease but this time two benign hematoma in vertebrae T9 and T 12 I am in horrible pain constantly. I have pain medication, have done the injections, patches everything known to man kind my blood work has been messed up since December and the doctors can't seem to figure out what is going on any one have anything like this they have experienced? Any help would be great thank up
Medication: Lortab 10mg, Valium 10mg, Topamax 25mg

• PamhoffcaPPamhoffca Posts: 163
    edited 07/19/2013 - 9:23 PM
    I would insist on another MRI of your spine and maybe a different neuro surgeons opinion. Sounds like you have a lot of issues going on with your spine to me. Keep on until you get an answer. I'm sure that what you have can be treated....Monday morning, get on the phone and ask for your dr to recommend a plan cuz you cannot live with this pain anymore....insist.
    CA Wife and Mom, 55, L5-S1 Microdiscectomy on 7/12/13
  • Thank you I plan to. It has just been so hard to find a doctor that will listen and when I go in they look at me like I am crazy not sure why maybe my age I'm 27, but when your in tears and in so much pain to the point of disabling and that is with medication there's a problem. I feel like I just need a good doctor that will take the time to care. When I had my hip surgery to remove the tumor they missed in my hip bone from the first MRI ha the Ortho oncologist put me in a case study due to the MRI and X-rays were not done correctly. Which is the same place I have been going to for all my MRI's so maybe a different location would be best. I have an appointment Monday with my PCM I am going to try and get to the bottom of it. The neuro doctor said Lupus or fibro but the pain is my mid spine down through the SI and into both hips down to my knees it's not all over my body I don't believe that could be correct. Thank you for taking the time to read my story I truly appreciate it!
  • Try to go there with no pain med in you so you can explain exactly where the pain is and can feel it acutely. I think it helps the doctor in the exam and to better to pinpoint where to look on the MRI. My pain was all on my right side so it was no surprise that the disc herniation was coming out of the right side of my L5-S1. My brother had a disc herniation in his L4-L5 more in the center. His pain was more bi-lateral (both sides), more in his groin area down to his knees. He said the pain was excruciating and he could not walk. Had to crawl to the bathroom. I think what u need is a better MRI...there is something going on there involving your nerves and I'm sure it can be corrected. Don't leave that drs office with a pat on the head and a "we just don't know". Insist that they get some answers.
  • AmechelleAAmechelle Posts: 8
    edited 07/20/2013 - 7:39 PM
    That is one of my main concerns the medication doesn't even take the pain away. And it is in both my hips but the right side gives out on me more then the left. It is just horrible sharp pain. I have to have my husband help me out of bed a lot and we have a jet tub for some reason with the jets on it makes the pain even worse its all been so crazy. I have cervical DDD and buldg disc in my neck along with arthritis in my neck and down my back since I was 17, but it was manage able now I have horrible migraines and jaw problems which I take the Topamax for the migraines and the Valium for and supposed to be somewhat of a muscle relaxant, but I can't walk very well in the mornings and night getting in bed is really bad. Everything just changed over night my life has been a horrible nightmare for almost a year and trying to figure out the problem has been an issue. I am at my breaking point with it. I just can't take it any longer something has to change or at least figure out what is going on. I have explain to him to where I hurt when I started keeping a journal which is hard due to it is constant but I am going to talk to the doctor tomorrow and make sure I get somewhere before I leave if I don't then I may have to find some place else! Thank you so much for your time and listening to my problems!
  • No problem....lets pray he/she really takes the time with you to figure out a plan and get to the bottom of this. Keep us posted.
  • AmechelleAAmechelle Posts: 8
    edited 07/23/2013 - 12:40 AM
    Well I had my follow up and my PCM asked how the appt with the neurosurgeon went since the neurosurgeon did not put any notes in which is no surprise to me he didn't really take much time with me or serious! I told him everything that went on during the 15 minute new patient appointment and my PCM said he was sorry. To sum it up I have arthritis from the neck down degenerative disc disease, fracture in L3, buldg in L2, buldg in L5/S1, benign verterbra T9, and T12, chronic migraines which I have had all my life along with jaw problems and now he has diagnosed me with fibromyalgia. I explained to him that I have been very fatigue for the last few months to the point of eyes rolling while driving home from work I think I am getting enough sleep. I have been very depressed since all this has happened I thought when they found the tumor in my hip bone that, that would take all the pain away but when it didn't that's when I realized it wasn't going away. He is adding cymbalta on top of my other medication. Told me the pain won't go away but it will help. I am just confused I have had problems since my accident years ago but nothing I couldn't manage. I just don't see how it can turn my life around like this over night to the point of disabling I'm only 27 I am very up beat person well I use to be now the though of going somewhere is just a pain to even think about and I'm always so tired I don't have the desire to deal with the pain of getting out! I just hope this is the right diagnosis. Thank you for your time and ear!!!!
  • I forgot to add sciatica to the list...
  • Sounds like your doctor really listened to you. Will he/she refer you to another surgeon or is that off the table? Maybe the cymbalta will do you some good. Also, see is you can get some physical therapy approved. Exercise could make you stronger and help with the tiredness.
  • We did physical therapy for about 4-5 months it didn't help much, I want the MRI read correctly but I don't think that is going to happen. I don't want surgery for sure I just want to know what on earth is going on. I just can't wrap my mind around my life changing over night! But for right now this is his plan the meds he said to get my pain down that it won't go away but to get it down and try to over come the depression that has come from all this so I can at least somewhat try to be normal. I don't know much about FIBRO but I don't for see something like that over night but I guess he could be on to something. You are right he is listening to me and and that means a lot I get a lot of muscle spasms things like that along with everything else so who knows. Sometimes I just want to give up and deal with it then I won't be able to walk so then I have to keep going to figure it out. There is another neurosurgeon that is in my location I wanted to have a second opinion with his new patients he spends 45 minutes to an hour with so that tells me he takes his time. I do have my concerns with the facility that did the MRI and not documenting findings that we found at the first appointment makes me wonder if maybe there is more to it that is not documented? I have half the mind to contact them but I have enough stress in my life as if I need to bring on anymore! Thank you for being so kind and taking your time to listen to me I truly appreciate it!
This discussion has been closed.