Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Work after Surgery

I had a fusion on my neck c4-7 October 3 2013, just recently returned to work as the bosses wouldnt allow me since my job is physical., my problem is this, even with all the exercises I do, my neck keeps drooping forward, my job is a very physical one & I do have to do a lot of looking down to sort mail. I am wondering to keep my neck from drooping to the front should I not be looking down if at all possible? I hope this doesnt sound like a silly question to anyone.
c4-c7 fusion & cadaver bone October 3 2013

• Did you talk to your doctor about this? Are you in pain when then neck droops? If so, I would be on the phone with my surgeon ASAP! :) Let us know.
    Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13

• Welcome to Spine Health.
    I am assuming that your surgery was on October 3rd 2012.
    I had a neck fusion, ACDF of C3/4/5 in November last year, so shortly after you.

I returned to work on 25th February but have since left due to lack of support from my boss rather than problems from my surgery.

I am wondering the same as Olivia (odouglass) above. Have you talked to your surgeon about this?

Was your dropped head there at all before your surgery, or has it appeared since your surgery?
    I do think that you need to talk to your surgeon. He will have the best idea of why this has happened and also how it should be treated.

No question is a silly one.
    Please let us know what your surgeon says and how he plans to treat it so we can all learn from this.
    I don't think this is a common problem as I haven't heard of anyone else on this forum having this problem.

I hope that you will succeed in your return to work, and that they will be supportive. :-)
  • Born2RunBBorn2Run Posts: 32
    edited 07/24/2013 - 10:24 AM
    I had a two level ACDF surgery on March 11, 2013. I am a teacher and was told I could probably return to work in 4-6 weeks. HA! I ended up having to be out until the end of the school year. It wasn't until the past month or two that I would consider myself pain free in that area. There is still some shoulder pain if I overuse it but then again, I am not (and haven't been) doing anything very physical since my surgery.

Now, about the drooping neck, I have not experienced anything like that throughout my recovery. I would go to the doctor with this for sure.
    3/11/13 successful ACDF
    7/13 inconclusive discogram
    Currently in PT for lumbar pain