Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi, I am new here. I have DDD & moderate cervical stenosis

Hello, I am looking for some people to talk to and get information and share my story and offer any help that I can possibly give to others as well.
I have moderate DDD and moderate cervical stenosis at C3-4 and at C5-6.
I have left side limb weakness. Very tingly left leg and I get these electrical sensations shoot down my leg when there is any pressure put on the back of my neck......such as rubbing my neck.
I've had several steroid injections in my neck because of pain from the back of my head, neck all the way down to my arms and hands. A few months ago I had radiofrequency ablation done on my left side which worked very well.
My questions are why is my left leg also effected from this.? My thoracic and lumbar spine are fine. Doctors can't explain my leg, the tingling, the weakness and shock sensations.
I also have lots of dizziness, unbalanced feelings, confusion and headaches.
I'm driving my family crazy with all my symptoms. I've been like this for about a year now and they are just tired of me. I do see a neurologist in late August. I've been waiting for over 4 months to get in to see him.
I was just wondering if there are others that have similar symptoms?
I would be so grateful to have someone to talk to.

Thank you!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery

• Hello Patti, and welcome to Spine Health

I was referred to a neurologist before my ACDF because I had so many symptoms all over the place that they wanted to rule out MS. It was decided that all my symptoms could be coming from the compression of my cord high up in my neck. I had C3/4 and C4/5 fused, so similar to you.

My first neurosurgeon did not feel that I needed surgery straight away and kept sending me away saying they would see me again in 6 months. This went on for 2 years. Even when his registrar said that I had signs of myelopathy and it was time to do surgery, explaining the risks or surgery but telling me that there were risks to not having it because my cord was at risk. He went to speak to the consultant, and came back after about 15 minutes saying the the consultant felt we could wait another 6 months!

I got another opinion and this neurosurgeon felt that we should get on with surgery as things were very tight and I was going to need surgery, so we should do it so that things did not get worse.
    In addition to neck pain, headaches and arm and hand symptoms, I had symptoms and pains in both legs and had spasticity in both legs and around my abdomen which he felt was all from the compression of my cord. He explained to me that cord compression can cause symptoms anywhere below the compression. I do still have symptoms and the spasticity and have been told this could stay as it may be due to cord damage. My cord is now freed up and has fluid around it again so things shouldn't get worse.

Our families don't always understand how much this affects us and for that reason this is a great place to come and talk about our spinal problems and how we feel about it. People here are very supportive and it can relieve how much we talk about it with our family and close friends.

I hope that your appointment in August will give you some answers. I suggest that you prepare a list of questions to take with you. One part with questions for if he suggests surgery and one part with questions about possible treatments. Do make sure that you tell him about all your symptoms. I hope you will let us know how you get on.

Do ask any other questions that you have. We are a friendly bunch and will be happy to share our stories and experiences. smiley
  • Hello and thank you for your reply. want to express gratitude that you wrote to me and there are many others that are also having problems just like me. I especially needed to hear that you can have problems anywhere below the compression area. I wish my Drs would be able to tell me that too....instead they just keep telling me that my leg problems should be coming from my low back, not my neck. But, I know it's coming from my neck because any kind of pressure I put on my neck...such as rubbing it, it will send these tingly shocks down my leg. They ignore me when I tell them that like I'm crazy and I need to see a neurologist. So, I will see one next month and praying that I can just get some answers.
    Some days I just feel like I might not be able to walk again with my leg being weak and numb.
    Very worried about my neck too. I'm glad I had the radiofrequency ablation done on my left side and now need to do the right side. The pain, burning, weakness and headaches are pretty darn difficult some days.
    Wishing you a good day and good week!! Glad I found this site!

• I am glad that you will be seeing a neurologist next month. I hope that they will explain what is going on to you.
    A neurologist is the best person to discover what is causing all our symptoms. They will order tests and scans and do physical tests on you.

Make sure that you are prepared for this appointment so that you are able to tell them about all your symptoms. It is very easy to forget things when you are in discussion with a doctor and it is when you get home that your realise that there are things that you didn't mention. I have done that myself!

I am here is you want to talk or ask any other questions. If I can't help, I will always cheer you on! :-)